Mountain Buzz banner

Snout boats?

35371 127
I did the search Mountain Buzz - Search Results what's their purpose or use I guess?
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
I have seen a fair number of them with motors on the Grand. They are great for about 8 people and can carry plenty of non-essentials for a 10-12 day trip.

· Jared
735 Posts
We rented one in 1995 down the Grand. We hooked a 10 hp Honda short shaft to it and ran it mostly in the flats, it did little to help in rapids. We had 6 kayakers and 2 on the boat, sometimes 3 on the boat with an extra kayak. Space was not an issue. We had plenty of food, ice, and beer. Could have hauled more. I rowed about 95% of the rapids, I was 16. We got hung up pretty bad twice, but we never came close to flipping. I'd rock another one, but with a larger motor and long shaft.

· Registered
143 Posts
Snouts from military tenders: If you don't mind doing some repair, Smith and Edwards North Ogden has a pile of them in the yard . I bought 4 of the a while back (10 years ago)for $125/ea A set of two has about 20000 # of net float ( 10 tons)

· Registered
542 Posts
I already contacted Smith and Edwards this morning (10/8/15) about any Snout tubes. They said that they sold out of them a couple of years ago.

I co-own a snout and have really enjoyed it. Other than the put in and take out, it is really fun to have. I have rowed half of Cataract and all of the San Juan. I rowed 90 % of Labyrinth as well. What I like is the the amount of storage underneath. For multiple days, people can sit on lawn chairs on the flatwater. It will sleep four people. Logistically it is a different beast. If the takeout is messed up, plan on hours of breakdown time. I look forward to doing the Middle fork with oars. With a snout, you have to know the rapid and line up correctly because correcting at the last second is not an option. They are big, however the tubes don't sit so deep in the water like a heavily loaded cat. Anybody here taken oar ran a snout down westwater?

tda
Slc, ut

tda
slc, ut

· Sponsoring Vendors
1,905 Posts
The wildest snout run I have ever been on was my first raft trip ever. My buddys dad ran his snout with sweeps down the royal gorge at 4 or 5K. I didnt realize how wild it was but the few people in there certainly looked at us strangely. Looking back now, knowing what I know, he was quite the badass.

The toughest snout trip I have ever done was Deso at 1000- 1200. Too shallow to motor most of it and dragging that beast around on the shallows was a real bitch.

They are a blast in Cat at high water. You can gut some of the features that you avoid like the plague in row boats and you dont worry as much about flipping on eddylines.

I would think if you were going to snout the MF you may want sweeps instead of oars. YMMV.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi,

Load carrying capacity and maneuverability (when adequately powered) are big assets.

I've seen several motor snouts put in at Westwater, but can't recall the levels. I did a low water Cat trip a few years ago in one, which was sort of exciting when it came to diving down the chute on the left side of BD3.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.