Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I bought a 12 foot raft for the fact ill mostly do day trips paddling with 2-4 people. Is a 12 foot raft good for the snake river or am i better off upgrading to a 14 foot raft? I’m a beginner and looking to work my way up with rapids as well as eventually I’d like to get a frame and do some multi day trips.
thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you asking if a 12' paddle raft is good for the snake? If so, then I would say yes. If you are thinking of putting on a frame and carrying people and gear then I would say it is acceptable for just you or maybe you and one other person.
The problem with paddle rafts on a multiday trip is other people have to carry the gear. Paddle boats can carry a small amount of gear but are not usually too great at handling groovers, kitchen boxes, etc. (although I have seen folks strap gear in the middle to add some rigidity to the paddle boats).
I use a 16' boat for the snake when I have passengers. I use a 14' boat when it is just me. Either way, however, both are framed and I oar the boat. I do not configure it for paddling.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
What part on the Snake are you referring to? padding or rowing? If you move up to oars or down to them depending on your point of view, you need to be good on the oars for hells canyon in a 12 footer. I row a 12 footer and love it, even with one passenger on multiple day trips, but I have many years on oars which helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A 12 foot paddle raft is awesome on the canyon, from previous posts I don’t think you are ready for that yet. It will also be fun on the Hoback at higher water. If your true goal is one boat oar quiver that is good for multi day trips on big western rivers a 14’ boat will be more practical. You can always pull frame and put in thwarts to paddle raft. I think you should spend the summer enjoying that 12’ boat. Hit me up on a pm, I’m really tied up for about a month but can try and show you the canyon later in the summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 12 foot paddle raft is awesome on the canyon, from previous posts I don’t think you are ready for that yet. It will also be fun on the Hoback at higher water. If your true goal is one boat oar quiver that is good for multi day trips on big western rivers a 14’ boat will be more practical. You can always pull frame and put in thwarts to paddle raft. I think you should spend the summer enjoying that 12’ boat. Hit me up on a pm, I’m really tied up for about a month but can try and show you the canyon later in the summer.
Really appreciate your responses and I’d loved to take you up on that. I ended up going up to the 14 foot raft cuz i do think I’d love to run it with oars. Not always so easy to get a few more people to come paddle. I’ll be headed up this Friday to run it with a tour guide to try and learn so i can do it on my own soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What part on the Snake are you referring to? padding or rowing? If you move up to oars or down to them depending on your point of view, you need to be good on the oars for hells canyon in a 12 footer. I row a 12 footer and love it, even with one passenger on multiple day trips, but I have many years on oars which helps.
I was told by the shop i bought my raft from that i should hit west table to sheep gulch. I ended up getting the 14 foot raft. Do you think i could R2 it? I’m thinking oars is my next move that way I don’t always have to rely on getting other people or the people you take with not being the best at taking commands paddling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JimBob. Can you please stop referencing the Hoback in all of your replies? I do not understand the purpose. Why would you want to promote something that doesn’t need more attention? Or are you trying to get attention? Ego deficiency? Can’t keep a secret? Just stop!

·
Registered
44 Posts
JimBob. Can you please stop referencing the Hoback in all of your replies? I do not understand the purpose. Why would you want to promote something that doesn’t need more attention? Or are you trying to get attention? Ego deficiency? Can’t keep a secret? Just stop!
Sorry for talking about a river on a web forum for talking about rivers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts