Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Smith is way up again. If I am reading it right it's around 1200. I'm wondering if they shut a major gate or something. That's a big bump and it's been steady. Maybe it's snow melt but the other rivers keep dropping. Or at least not doubling in size.

Jim

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Smith is way up again. If I am reading it right it's around 1200. I'm wondering if they shut a major gate or something. That's a big bump and it's been steady. Maybe it's snow melt but the other rivers keep dropping. Or at least not doubling in size.

Jim
It rained a lot while we were on it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That is a strange jump. I don't know of any ditches with any where near that capacity and think it must be hydrology related. A lot of rain on top of the last remaining high elevation snow + some warm nights to soften the snow pack??? I've been out of the area but had heard that' it rained most of the last week, but a 600 cfs jump in one day. That's a lot of rain!! and it's just now starting to drop. Got to be a combo of several factors.

The only manmade thing I could think of would be something with Newlan Creek Res. If they had to dump a bunch of water out of that, but I think that's unlikely.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey Swiftwater I hope you didn't cancel your trip. The flows look great and weather will be the best of the season so far. Should be easy living! Have a great trip.

Jim

·
Registered
505 Posts
looking good

Thanks, Jim

We are good to go, getting stoked. Been 20 years since my last trip. This will be the first ever extended river trip for my sister's family. They are all in for a treat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anybody care to venture a guess how long the Smith will have good flows this summer? After May’s generous storms, the SNOTEL snowpack is sitting at 120%+ of the median. And the runoff appears to be starting late this year with flows at Eagle Creek trending below historical averages… I take these as good signs that my family may be able to fulfill our July 11th permit with flows >250cfs. But welcome any additional comments or shared wisdom from the Buzzard Community 🤙

·
Registered
237 Posts
Decent snowpack as of now, however that could drastically change. Looks like we have 3 days in a row with 90 + degree weather. Might even hit 100 on Thursday. I wouldn't be surprised if its below 250 CFS by July 11th. I'll be on the river July 5th-9th.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran it the last week in April. We launched at 178 cfs. Made for some longer days on the river but managed over 100 fish between the 3 rafts over 4.5 days. Pack your boats light and efficient, and you’ll be fine. We rarely got out to drag, but I wouldn’t run it under 160 cfs for fear of punctures personally. We ran 2 guys per boat with 1 cooler full of beer and freeze dried meals. Don’t let that 250 mark scare ya. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran it the last week in April. We launched at 178 cfs. Made for some longer days on the river but managed over 100 fish between the 3 rafts over 4.5 days. Pack your boats light and efficient, and you’ll be fine. We rarely got out to drag, but I wouldn’t run it under 160 cfs for fear of punctures personally. We ran 2 guys per boat with 1 cooler full of beer and freeze dried meals. Don’t let that 250 mark scare ya. Good luck
Damn, you got lucky. I had an April 23rd permit and it the gauge was in the low 100’s. Talked with the ranger and she said they just got done dragging their raft for 3 days across the gravel bars. Ended up making a last minute cancellation. I agree though, we have done it in the past at low 200’s with good luck. Go light, swap beer for whiskey!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wow allready 200. We launched on the 17th last year at 700. Kinda a low water year . We've been invited on July 1st but I've never thought it would go. Should be good fishing and hot!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts