Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing a general question out there regarding the Smith River after the re-opening April 5th. According to Montana state guidelines, out of state travelers (traveling for non-work purpose) coming into Montana are supposed to self quarantine for 14 days. Does anyone know if this would be enforced somehow by FWP on people traveling from out of state to run the Smith ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes they will be enforcing it! I talked with them last week(i have a june launch). Could you lie? Probably but then you would be not so cool. I called blm in Oregon to talk about owyee they told me stay home they wanted no out of state visitors lol. If you hold a permit you should have received the most recent email that was all about new covid-19 requirements? If not ill post it again for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they will be enforcing it! I talked with them last week(i have a june launch). Could you lie? Probably but then you would be not so cool. I called blm in Oregon to talk about owyee they told me stay home they wanted no out of state visitors lol. If you hold a permit you should have received the most recent email that was all about new covid-19 requirements? If not ill post it again for you
Thanks - I'm not the permit holder, but I have seen the recent email with covid changes sent out by FWP. Just trying to find out details - will out of state travelers need to show something like their boat inspection to show they have been in state for 14 days, etc. This doesn't affect me directly as I'm in state.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would not even consider lying about quarantine to get on river. If the permit holder is from out of state and you call to cancel tell them why (can't isolate for 14 days) It is my understanding they will roll your permit over to the same date next year. Better than nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm out of state with a July 1st launch. I'm hoping the quarantine will be lifted by then but who knows? I can't afford to quarantine in Montana for 14 days prior to my trip. Seems silly to tell out of state folks to travel to Montana, then stay there for 14 days (in a hotel I assume) prior to a rafting/camping trip.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm out of state with a July 1st launch. I'm hoping the quarantine will be lifted by then but who knows? I can't afford to quarantine in Montana for 14 days prior to my trip. Seems silly to tell out of state folks to travel to Montana, then stay there for 14 days (in a hotel I assume) prior to a rafting/camping trip.
Not sure that Montana is telling you anything silly.

I'm legally allowed to recreate in my home state.
You're not.

Ask Gov Newsom to let you play in your own backyard before you say the rules in my state are silly!!!

·
SarahofTheWaves
360 Posts
According to the BLM in Fort Benton, the current order on quarantine is expected to be lifted on May 22nd. But BLM said, it is best to visit the state's website b/c things change. Good luck with the directives.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
According to the BLM in Fort Benton, the current order on quarantine is expected to be lifted on May 22nd. But BLM said, it is best to visit the state's website b/c things change. Good luck with the directives.
????
The Smith isn't exactly near Ft. Benton.

MT Fish, Wildlife & Parks administers the Smith River, not the BLM.

Contact the MT FWP regional office in Great Falls for info on the Smith:
Montana State Parks :: Smith River
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: COVID-19 Response and Updates

The State has not yet definitively said when we will move from Phase 1 (14-day mandatory quarantine for out-of-state visitors, camping is not considered "essential") to Phase 2 (no quarantine for out-of-state visitors.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dunno man, I literally talked with fwp this morning about a rain check due to covid. I have good friends who are wanting to cancel due to underlying conditions. Anyway I asked and the woman in charge said that there was alot of confusion between helena and field offices and helena answers to another office as well. She said that there are no rain checks unless the governor shuts down the river and that the quarantine thing was hotly debated now cause big money interests where pushing hard to get it removed. Bet its trout unlimited? I've lived here in bozo since 1988 and I can tell you it has not changed for the better. With Yellowstone just around the corner and "world class fishing" (wtf!?) We get the average tourist and the fabulously wealthy to the tune of 2-2.5 million a year. That's a bad bad thing for a pandemic. Montanans dont like being told what to do but they are practical and most use common sense. You know whos wearing masks around town here? Ranchers! I have to be out a bit and iam proud to say everyone's doing pretty good. This is a bad time to be selfish and it could lead down a worse road if were not careful. We usually do one utah trip a year, were not this year. My dad's in a retirement condo in Dallas texas , he doesnt want us visiting. My in laws are in great falls and dont want to travel to bozeman lol. We decided to have are trip. We are all in state and we are going as a group but each acting as a solo trip. Sucks but we all need to be in nature a little. Maybe we should forgo travelling untill this is better. How old are rivers? They'll be there . I would advise all out of state tourists everywhere to be on your best behavior. There has allready been altercations at trailheads and campgrounds over localism and covid. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I dunno man, I literally talked with fwp this morning about a rain check due to covid. I have good friends who are wanting to cancel due to underlying conditions. Anyway I asked and the woman in charge said that there was alot of confusion between helena and field offices and helena answers to another office as well. She said that there are no rain checks unless the governor shuts down the river and that the quarantine thing was hotly debated now cause big money interests where pushing hard to get it removed. Bet its trout unlimited? I've lived here in bozo since 1988 and I can tell you it has not changed for the better. With Yellowstone just around the corner and "world class fishing" (wtf!?) We get the average tourist and the fabulously wealthy to the tune of 2-2.5 million a year. That's a bad bad thing for a pandemic. Montanans dont like being told what to do but they are practical and most use common sense. You know whos wearing masks around town here? Ranchers! I have to be out a bit and iam proud to say everyone's doing pretty good. This is a bad time to be selfish and it could lead down a worse road if were not careful. We usually do one utah trip a year, were not this year. My dad's in a retirement condo in Dallas texas , he doesnt want us visiting. My in laws are in great falls and dont want to travel to bozeman lol. We decided to have are trip. We are all in state and we are going as a group but each acting as a solo trip. Sucks but we all need to be in nature a little. Maybe we should forgo travelling untill this is better. How old are rivers? They'll be there . I would advise all out of state tourists everywhere to be on your best behavior. There has allready been altercations at trailheads and campgrounds over localism and covid. Just my 2cents
Trout Unlimited does not make a penny from tourists or fishing, Just from membership dues, fund raisers and donations which they spend to improve fishing habitat and access not to promote/sell it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fwp just said, " outside intrests" I dunno who but it ain't me and you. So maybe its wealthy out of staters? I get it. Still think it's a bad time to travel but thats just me. Who care it's just a little cold or dead old people or young or middle aged. But really it's just people and theres no shortage of them.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
Yep it's true. Just announced, 14 day quarantine through the summer. Better go ahead and cancel now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good luck picking up a cancellation. The gal was telling me that she receives about 500-1000 calls a day in regards to cancellations.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
Easiest cancellation I ever got. Actually, I got invited on a trip that is out right now but couldn't miss work. He got that cancellation 2 weeks ago. So I started calling last week and got a June 6 launch on my second try.

·
SarahofTheWaves
360 Posts
This has not been rescinded:

The March 30 Directive that stated travelers arriving from another state or country to Montana for non-work-related purposes undergo a 14-day self-quarantine has been extended through the end of the emergency. For travelers arriving at any Montana airport and rail station, temperature checks and screenings for potential exposure history may be conducted by the Montana National Guard to further protect against the spread of COVID-19. For the full Directive, click here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We canceled our May 25 trip due to quarantine issues with folks coming from SLC. Trip leader was "guaranteed" a 2021 permit for the same date. Unfortunately (and expectedly, to me), he received an email yesterday explaining he would not be receiving a permit next year, but is welcome to apply for a 2021 permit. Bummer.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts