Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Really excited to finally get to announce this, I've had to keep it on the down low for a long time even talking with a lot of you and its been killing me.

We're going to be launching a 12" version of the Pop-Up Pit coined the "Trailblazer" on March 1st 2020.

Packed down it is about the size of a Thermos but opens to a 12"x12" burn area. This kit will include a grill and heat shield all for $99MSRP. The sides still meet the 3" fire pan regulations 8)

You can burn charcoal or wood inside the pit. Its a good enough size to comfortably keep 4 people warm and you get about 120sq inches of cooking out of it. This equates to about 4-6 burgers depending on their size.

We will be launching this on Kickstarter March 1st for a special pre-order price of $69 for delivery in the middle of April.

You can learn more and and sign up for email updates here

If you guys have any questions I'll be on MB all day today.

Really excited to hear the feedback

Cheers,
Triston

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sweet... that will be totally useful and meets the requirements for the Grand Canyons smaller "charcoal only" 12x12x3 firepit. I've been on a bunch of trips where it was only a few people and a small firepit would do fine. It'll make a sweet Dutch Oven support station too.

While we are talking about new products... I think it would be cool to make a double size mesh kit that allows you to combine two of the full size popup pits next to each other too. Get rid of the sides and have a mesh bottom that extends as one solid piece between both pits. Lots of options for that kind of setup... charcoal on one side and fire on the other, one big fire, one big cooking setup for huge groups, etc.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I still have a big steel firepan in good condition, but seems I need to get one of these. The nachos someone posted a year ago looked awesome.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dangit I thought I was done spending money on fire pits for the next 20 years after buying my pop up pit.

Tristan do you have any pics of this nenwy cutie pie?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Gotta say, I love Electric-Mayhem's idea of the double-wide mesh. An early trip last year with about 18 ppl we ended up putting a popup pit and a standard pan about a foot away so everyone could get in on the circle and the warmth.
SO...I was thinking about it after I posted...and it would be really sweet with two sets of legs...and space them another full width of the legs apart and then use one aluminum side from each of the pits to bridge the gap making the double sized pit more like a triple pit. Maybe bring a couple of extra pieces of flat aluminum to support the screen in the middle...think that would be overkill though.

Maybe clear as mud...so I attached a VERY crude sketch of what I'm talking about (never claimed to be a master artist).

The little pit looks cool for sure...I think I'm gonna have to grab one for those solo lightweight trips and such. Looks literally like a tinier version of the big one.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was initially thinking to join two frames you could use a say 6" piece of mesh with grommets to seal the crack and maybe a short section of the side extrusions to keep the sides contained, that seems like a cheap way to double things up. Obviously lengths could be expanded to do something like the triple mayhem is now talking about but I think you'd need some cross bracing to keep the center section of mesh relatively taught.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's a lot lighter and more compact than the old steel wheelbarrow body I've used on mega-trips long past! Of course, we didn't use the "contractor's weight" wheelbarrow. And the body served as a gypsy load cover ... tarp it and toss it under the cargo net. And it would hold about any fire we wanted to build. A-a-and somebody just grabbed it off the metals recycling pile ... Maybe I'll put it back there someday.
Naaaah, I'm a gear junkie. I have the big one for standard trips. I gotta try the small one. Just the right size for the G-Kids to burn some hot dogs for lunch. Fiddling with a fire keeps us men occupied. My order will be on its way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I put money in for one, I've been waiting for it to be March to order. They are 1/3 of the way to the goal. Fingers crossed she goes.

Tristan have you guys considered riveting a tag on the sides of these that say kick starter edition or early backer or something to make the first run special?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have the large original version and based on the kickstarter pledge link posted above just pledged my 69 bucks for the smaller version.

Do I really need this smaller version when I have the original one? The answer is no.

On the other hand, I have been re doing my cook kit from the monster raft style every thing but the kitchen sink version to a much smaller raft and canoe sized cook setup.

When it is just me car camping out of my Tacoma, this new Defender size looks perfect and the weight is really nice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's 92% funded, it looks like we have a winner. I think this may fund in under 24 hours. Awesome. Tristan is there any chance of an early April delivery?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put money in for one, I've been waiting for it to be March to order. They are 1/3 of the way to the goal. Fingers crossed she goes.

Tristan have you guys considered riveting a tag on the sides of these that say kick starter edition or early backer or something to make the first run special?

We had considered something like that. The issue is, with limited runs like this those unique badges add a lot to our cost. If we were selling 10,000 Trailblazers on Kickstarter it wouldn't be an issue to do the badge, unfortunately we're just not at that level yet.

I have the large original version and based on the kickstarter pledge link posted above just pledged my 69 bucks for the smaller version.

Do I really need this smaller version when I have the original one? The answer is no.

On the other hand, I have been re doing my cook kit from the monster raft style every thing but the kitchen sink version to a much smaller raft and canoe sized cook setup.

When it is just me car camping out of my Tacoma, this new Defender size looks perfect and the weight is really nice.
Agreed! We've been using the Trailblazer to cook out at our campsite and basically use the Pop-Up Pit just as our fire pit now. Its really cool having the option for both.

It's 92% funded, it looks like we have a winner. I think this may fund in under 24 hours. Awesome. Tristan is there any chance of an early April delivery?
We will be starting fulfillment the first week of April. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts