Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I was wondering if small trailers need to be registered in colorado? In utah, single axle trailers weighing less than 750lbs do not need to be, but I was wondering about neighboring states. thanks a lot

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Yes they do have to be registered in Colorado.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kinda hoping that just driving through will be ok. seems like if you're legal in the state you live in you oughta be ok?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Most likely you'll be OK, it's also illegal to drive in CO without a front plate but AZ does not actually give you a front plate - the Zoners don't seem to get pulled over for it in CO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
can get by

if the state where you are from doesn't req the trailer to be licensed, just say that and you are fine. but if you have co plates and a unlicensed trailer, it is just a reason for them to pull you over

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cops wont mess with you if you have outa state plates for their states laws. (when they differ like this)

A very common one is window tint.
They cant really pull you over for tint thats illegal in their state if your registered in another, where it is legal.

(this does not apply to crap like lighting though usually, just an fyi)

·
Definite maybe
691 Posts
when i moved up here from taos i got pulled over 3 times because i didnt have a front plate..nm is a 1 plate state too...id be carefull about pulling that trailer....you might wanna call a non emergency number for the state police and just ask what the rule is

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Who cares if you can talk your way out of the trailer ticket, while he's writing you up for something else that he wouldn't have known about if he hadn't had a reason to stop you in the first place.

If you drive it much in CO, I'd consider registering it anyway to avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i haven't had the front plate on my truck for 3 or 4 years because it always fell off or would be dangling by one screw when i got to my destination. it resides under my passenger seat. no tix for me yet. probably because there are so many other states that don't have front plates.

trailers are a different story. lights, tags, etc., are an excuse to get pulled over in hopes of finding something else.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts