Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
My wife and I do a lot of solo trips (especially last year). All things equal we will take the smaller available camp. But some camps may be necessary for a particular hike, winter sun or summer shade, etc., In that case we'll set up in a corner and, sometimes with a little screening, welcome other groups to share. We've made several friends and had some memorable conversations and jam sessions. I have little patience for groups that feel entitled to a camp over smaller groups who have paid just as much their permit.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
No real hard and fast criteria, I take a camp that's appropriate for the group size if I can, and if I have a larger camp, as long as folks aren't jerks, I'm always amenable to sharing a camp.

·
Registered
Classic (antique?) Maravia 14’
23 Posts
I love the Rogue.

Got skunked on permits again in the lottery. I will try to pick up a cancellation. I turned one back in last year becaue of COVID. Probably a reasonably good idea, but I sure miss the place.
I didn’t even try this year - I’ll play the last chance phone tango too :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
132 Posts
How about actually talking with others you meet at the ramp or on the river and working out a camping plan that could work for both.
That works to an extent, more often when the two groups are familiar with the river and have a specific plan. For my first or second trip down a river, I typically have a general idea of mileage and decide once I see the camps. Spontaneity is part of the fun and I wouldn't want to commit to a camp I've never seen before. For these conversations, I typically just tell them our general mileage plan and say "see you out there!" I also don't think it is fair for someone to initiate that conversation at the ramp for the soul purpose of trying to lay claim to a certain camp. Whoever gets there gets there and you should go about your normal pace on the journey vs. jockeying for position. This is also why I prefer the off-season.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
197 Posts
I've taken input from others and ultimately the TL has to make a decision.

Speaking of MFS and camp assignments, are they going to be assigned beforehand like last year because of COVID? Or, are they going back to the way they used to do them in person?

I was a big fan of knowing which camps we had a week before. Made planning for hikes and side excursians a breeze!

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about actually talking with others you meet at the ramp or on the river and working out a camping plan that could work for both.
A friend of mine canoes solo down Ruby/Horsethief without a reservation for established camp sites. He knows some great sites and can pull his boat out of the water and tuck it out of sight. Not as easy with big boats though.
Wait, is your friend just poaching Ruby?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
You don't need a permit for day trips.. just to camp in designated sites, so if a site isn't designated... Grey area?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't need a permit for day trips.. just to camp in designated sites, so if a site isn't designated... Grey area?
Ah, got it. I knew you didn't need permits for day trips but I figured you'd need a permit for any kind of overnight. Sounds like grey area indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Ah, got it. I knew you didn't need permits for day trips but I figured you'd need a permit for any kind of overnight. Sounds like grey area indeed.
Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it...

·
Registered
224 Posts
What is appropriate behavior for a small group (1-4 people) choosing camps, especially layovers? I always error on the side of tiny marginal camps, but part of me feels like I should be able to snag a cushy site now and again.

My wife and I catch an unbelievable amount of crap passing groups on quick 1 boat Rogue trips. I have been reported in places where runners aren’t allowed. Despite explaining politely, other boaters rarely believe that we are not out ahead of our group.

Thanks for any advice!
A small group should have the same right to enjoy any camp that a large group does. If camps aren't assigned, you should feel no guilt about scoring any camp you want.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
This is my second post on this subject. I have noticed that the smaller camps sites seem to be in better shape over all so I do tend to try for them when group size is appropriate.

edited for baaaad spelling:oops:

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
A small group should have the same right to enjoy any camp that a large group does. If camps aren't assigned, you should feel no guilt about scoring any camp you want.
I'd argue there should be some give and take. If your small group was on a Main Salmon, for example...maybe go for one primo large camp (like California Bar), but don't hoarde them all as an actual large camp is limited by regulations to the campsites they can occupy. The FS is starting to only assign reservable camps to appropriate-sized groups.

Sure you've got the right...but IMHO the ethic would dictate you match your camp size to the campsite size to minimize conflict and further regulation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd argue there should be some give and take. If your small group was on a Main Salmon, for example...maybe go for one primo large camp (like California Bar), but don't hoarde them all as an actual large camp is limited by regulations to the campsites they can occupy. The FS is starting to only assign reservable camps to appropriate-sized groups.

Sure you've got the right...but IMHO the ethic would dictate you match your camp size to the campsite size to minimize conflict and further regulation.
I agree with everything you are saying. As many others have said, many times the best camps are the small ones, so a small group can have an advantage. However, there are a few gorgeous large camps that everyone should get the opportunity to enjoy, not just very large groups or commercial trips.

The Middle Fork is one place where it kind of feels like the outfitters get a complete monopoly on the best camps, which happen to be large camps, like Elkhorn, etc.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts