Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mediocre lines for your enjoyment at my cost. Rather than tell the story, I'll let the video do the work. Suffice it to say that caves suck and the vid does not do the caviness of the bottom drop justice. After looking at it once lower I initially thought this was a medium level but the boulders rolling down the creek while I was gearing up lead me to believe it was closer to the high side of good.

North Fork Smackdown on Vimeo

COUNT

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Am I supposed to know what that is the North Fork of? I have to agree with you, those look like some pretty mediocre lines down some serious whitewater. I'm not sure I'd be feeling too good about that descent.

·
Registered
275 Posts
HAHAHA!!!!! It's north fork of the south arkansas. Your still lucky though, if you had ran that on you head you could of had a serious injury. It's like 2 feet deep.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good recoveries. I probably would have died doing the first drop upside down. If I had made that roll and got past the first drop then I would have swam out of the undercut on the next one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You crazy paddlers..

Derk, I'll promise to carry your stuff again as long as you promise to not stuff yourself in a hole. Oh, but you gotta bring the D.O. Cobbler...mmm.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Bottom line'n Derk... you got in there and got it done. Rough yes, but looks like fun. Seems like a common thread is your lack of hard left boof strokes. Not really critiqueing as much as just noticing. That last drop has a fantastic boof opportunity if you could have gotten a major left stroke in just on that flake.

Man, I had never seen any footage of this creek. Looks like the bomb?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dude, the river gods smiled down upon you fo sho. Way to nail that roll in the clutch.

·
Registered
807 Posts
that looks like about as much water as that creek ever sees. There are average snow years around here where that run does not ever come up to a boatable flow. So I think I would call it highish. If you did not piton penciling in at Angel of Shavano then I would say it was high becuase that pool is typically pretty shallow.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good constructive criticism, Marty. The first one definitely needed more left boof but it wasn't so much that I missed it as I just underestimated how hard the water was pushing left in that pool. And yeah, the one at the bottom was weak. That undercut also looked a lot worse from inside than outside. The big lesson here for me was how hard to look at things in the scout. And yes, the river gods were smiling on me that day.

D

·
Registered
709 Posts
Fuck a boof.. What it needs is more cowbell! Actually, the top wasn't that bad b/c it looked hard to time. But, the bottom drop I'm not sure there was a stroke taken. :)

Just tell people you were going for the "totally clean boof".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts