Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm looking at replacing my sleeping bag (which has been good to me) with something a little nicer. Problem is I got it second hand 10 years ago, so I have no idea what model or temp it is.

I definitely want down.

I think I want something in the 15-20F range. I definitely want something a little warmer than the one I've got now, but like I said, I don't know what it is. I've taken it down to about 30 degrees and been cold. Comfortable around 40-50. I won't be winter camping but I'd like to extend the shoulder seasons a little bit. That being said, I don't want something that's too warm for the summer either.

I want it to pack super small for self-supports out of the boat.

I will be using it for a number of purposes so I don't need one of the ones designed to insert a pad into (like Big Agnes).

I realize that this narrows it down pretty well within a brand but I don't know anything about the different brands, so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

COUNT

·
Registered
177 Posts
Marmot makes the best down bags in my opinion, though also the most expensive. I think you'd be wet over the helium. I'd like to get one someday, but for the regular material they are 350, 400+ for a better material that is supposed to better with water. The whole element line is the shit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This might be a bit cooler of a bag but... It's what I have for boating trips.

Mountain Hardwear: Phantom 32°

I put that sucker inside of a minimalist bivy sack and I'm set down to 20deg or so.

REI Minimalist Bivy - Regular from REI.com

It's so ridiculously small and light that it's not even funny. I took it two years ago into an early season Big South and it was perfect. I had the lightest boat by far.

Scott

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
I like the other brands, but I've gotta say dollar-dollar that the REI bags (subkilo I think is the name of the 20 bag) pack smaller & work great.
My 20 bag packs down to approx. a 5 or 6 inch ball with the smallest granite gear stuff sack. Of all my bros with similar packs it's the smallest by a ways.

·
Registered
520 Posts
going fast

I like the other brands, but I've gotta say dollar-dollar that the REI bags (subkilo I think is the name of the 20 bag) pack smaller & work great.
My 20 bag packs down to approx. a 5 or 6 inch ball with the smallest granite gear stuff sack. Of all my bros with similar packs it's the smallest by a ways.
Steep and Cheap
Big Agnes Crater Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree Down w/ Mummy Pad

A great setup if you do a lot of backpacking in the shoulder seasons or you're a cold sleeper even in summer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Count,

Mountain Hard Wear Tallace should be good.

North Face Cats Meow will fit what you are looking for (Customer Service at the North Face has gone down hill though).

If you have the cash go with Marmot for down, you can't beat it.

Stevesie

·
Registered
676 Posts
my vote is for western mountaineering

here's a couple that haven't been posted yet:

western mountaineering - Western Mountaineering
and feathered friends - Feathered Friends -- Welcome to Feathered Friends.
both of these companies specialize in down garments, but they're not cheap.

i have a couple of westerns - the antelope in the smf. i think it's rated to 5 or something like that. the other one i don't remember the name (apache maybe), but it's a 15 deg bag and is the dryloft material. i've slept in the open in the 15 deg bag at 14 deg according to the thermometer, and i was toasty. the 15 deg bag packs down to about the size of a large football and weighs just over two pounds. the antelope is really warm, too warm really for me unless it's really cold out. i've been down to about 10 in it, and i still got a little too warm. packs up a little bigger than the other bag. their bags are rated at least 5 degrees warmer than they are good to, unless you're a really cold sleeper.

i had a feathered friends bag too. great bag. super light. quality construction. packed down super small. don't really know why i sold it, but i did, and i bought the 15 degree western. guess that's enough said.

whatever you buy, buy down. way warmer for the weight. and if you buy something that's too warm for the summer, just unzip and use it like a quilt. that way you can hang a leg out or kick it off partially if it gets too hot. that's the only way i sleep in a bag now unless it's really cold. much more comfortable too if you're the least bit claustrophobic.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, I missed it again. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm keeping an eye on S&C.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have been thru several, and have found a good set-up for me. I have used MH, NF, rei bags, and WM bags.

i don't do much winter camping any more. I use a mountain hardwear "upgrade" bag. basically its designed to zip into another bag, and be that much warmer. I belive its a 30 degree bag. when used in combination with another bag, you really get a lot of range in temps, Its down, and i bought a compression bag for it, when its crushed down, its grapefruit size.

sometimes I have gotten a little chilly, but i always have cap/fleece with me. when i was carrying warmer bags, i never used the cap/fleece, cause i was warm enough. By actually using what you bring ( cap/fleece) you can go with a lighter bag.

it comes with either r/l hand zipper, and it rocks.

good luck. stay warm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Count, Western Mountaineering makes a bag specifically for overnight river trips (so they say) it is rated to 25 degrees warm down.

I have their 30 degree bag and its perfect, light and warm, stuffs super small... however a step up in price from REI, Mountain Hardwear etc.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
You can install the SAC popup. Just click the button at the top right of the page. Whenever there's a new item, you'll hear the alert and get a little popup window in the bottom right of your screen like an outlook notification. There is a slight delay from when it's posted on the site to when you get the notification, but pretty fast. You can also right click the icon and get the latest item w/o opening the page.

My name is Laurie and I'm a gear addict. :)

L.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I have enough money to install the popup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can install the SAC popup. Just click the button at the top right of the page. Whenever there's a new item, you'll hear the alert and get a little popup window in the bottom right of your screen like an outlook notification. There is a slight delay from when it's posted on the site to when you get the notification, but pretty fast. You can also right click the icon and get the latest item w/o opening the page.

My name is Laurie and I'm a gear addict. :)

L.

Has anybody had problems with the SAC popup software? It says its lost connection to the server and to check my internet connection. My internet works though, would be a lot more convenient to have the popup and not have to refresh the SAC homepage 100 times/day.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
It'd be nice too if they had one that was Mac compatable too, although as Count mentioned, I'm not sure I can really afford to see it that often.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I'm online most of the day and rarely have a problem. When I do, it's usually the fault of the server at my firm as the connection is slow with everything.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe there is a SAC widget for mac. I don't know which direction to point you in as I installed it a long time ago and haven't had my powerbook online for many months now.

Trust me, though, you don't want it. Run away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
is there any way to see a list of the things that have been sold for the past 24 hours or anything on SAC?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts