Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Two days at Skook is better than no days at Skook" was the philosophy that inspired a December trip to Skookumchuck in British Columbia. It was cold, salty, beautiful, awesome, and cold.

I wrote up a trip report that morphed into a "how to" plan your own trip to Skook. It's definitely a worthwhile trip any time of the year.

Link: Trip Report

I tried to include most of the things that will help folks to plan a trip there, but let me know if you have other questions about the area.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
How long did it take you to get through customs and hows the water temp? The Tofino folks are saying they are having warmer than normal water temps this year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a 30 minute wait on each end of customs, but breezed right by when our turn came up.

Water temps definitely didn't feel very cold. I started both days wearing pogies but ditched them for bare hands after about 9am. So not too cold. Drysuit was definitely awesome to have, but Leif was just using a dry deck (dry top and sray skirt combo) with neoprene pants.

Have you ever been up there?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
We had a 30 minute wait on each end of customs, but breezed right by when our turn came up.

Water temps definitely didn't feel very cold. I started both days wearing pogies but ditched them for bare hands after about 9am. So not too cold. Drysuit was definitely awesome to have, but Leif was just using a dry deck (dry top and sray skirt combo) with neoprene pants.

Have you ever been up there?
Nope, didnt realize Skook was that close to where I am going in March. I am spending a week in Tofino.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts