Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a snap dragon skirt. Noticed yesterday that the neoprene has started to come off of the big rubber band type deal that forms the seal on the cockpit. The hole is on the front of the skirt about 1/2" wide, and its the stitching that holds the neoprene to the band that appears to have come apart. The skirt has probably seen 100-120 river days, and there are several nicks and partial tears on the skirt, but nothing else major other than some fraying and wear on the cockpit rim part of the skirt. I'm tempted to try and sew it up and aquaseal it, but I'm wondering if its just time to get a new skirt. I'm a bit worried that a patch job might come apart in a couple weeks to a month at a bad time, and that I'd be better off biting the bullet now and getting a new skirt.

Any comments on skirt repair vs. retirement and how well repairs can hold up?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aquaseal it, worked for me to last season and the skirt is still going strong. IF you have a rubber rand it will re-seal well, might be more of a challenge for a shockchord/bungeechord rand.

Snap dragon may fix it for you if you send it in. Wildwasser in Boulder repaired mine same day when the rand started peeling off... Then it was good as new.

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
I have decks that I have repaired and still work good but use them roadside or for town runs/ playparks. That's so I can have the best stuff for the two week road trips or wilderness, "must make, no excusses" runs. But good idea to look at the repair kit too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
talk to snapdraggon

if it is the stiching that is givin out it is the workmanship thing. if you buy a new skirt and you run some scarry shi... stuff.. then you should think about the rubber. i lost my new boat once because of the shock chord thing on a snapdraggon. definatley your choice but the mountian surf dur-o-ring is the best ive ever seen,, if you can find one.. and besides a new skirt kinda feels good, i just got one this last weekend, it is good to not have to worry about it.. fix the old one and use it as a spare

·
Registered
316 Posts
After putting Aquaseal on I also put a patch of "Iron Mend" over the Aquaseal. Aquaseal will more than likely be much stronger than the neoprene so theoretically you could end up with a bigger hole. So having the patch on as well will give the whole area strength. Confluence Kayaks sells it.

A good test on if you should replace is the color of your skirt. If it has faded significantly then it maybe a good idea to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Not sure how it will work right against the rand, but that iron mend stuff is really bomber. I've never used it over aqua seal, but that sounds like a good idea as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
According to an above post, confluence carries it. Call them and ask:

303 433 3676.

I bought some 12 years ago and it still seems to work. try that with aquaseal.

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
I talked to Mountain Surf a season or two ago. They recommended replacing skirts every three years, not because of the neoprene or leaks, but because of the susceptibility of UV degradation on the grab loop stitching/attachment. Not sure about Snapdragon, but I know that if the grab loop pulled loose from my Mtn Surf, it would take a knife or other heroic effort to get out. I'll keep my current skirt more than 3 years, but now I AM more conscious of the grab loop attachment. UV degradation is probably less of an issue down here in the flatlands, but sumpin' to think about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Send it back to Snapdragon they will know how to fix it. I shredded a Wild Wasser skirt they reglued and patched it as good as new in the same day.
David

·
Registered
989 Posts
Fix it yourself and use it as a backup or send it in for them to fix...either way I'd get a new skirt. If you send it in, no telling when you'll get it back.

Mtn Surf sells tons of sizes and one will be specifically for your cockpit rim.
http://www.mountainsurf.com/spray_fit.html

I have nothing to do with the company, just think their skirts are the most bomber around.

If you go this rout and your boat model has a "standard fit" and "tight fit" option, go with the latter.

·
Registered
23 Posts

3M makes a marine adhesive...it's called 4200 fast cure...there is also a 5200, but it is much longer to fully cure. You can usually find this stuff in the boating/camping department of walmart...6 bucks a tube...it stays flexible after it cures (like Aquaseal) but it is a longer lasting fix...
Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
3M makes a marine adhesive...it's called 4200 fast cure...there is also a 5200, but it is much longer to fully cure. You can usually find this stuff in the boating/camping department of walmart...6 bucks a tube...it stays flexible after it cures (like Aquaseal) but it is a longer lasting fix...
Good Luck
I find it works well to stitch up with nylon thread then use Marine Goop. I don't know if you have that here, I just moved from B.C. I used to have a kayak school so I saw some pretty major abuse on gear. That Marine Goop works well if it is available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts