Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
look around for orange poly tarps. You can use them fror a lot of other things and if you need them you can cut them up and make the panels.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Or, check into a fabric store in town for cheap material. And, when I was in REI a while ago they had low cost orange tents that can be cut up.

I'm not sure, but the ranger might want the panels already sized, cut to their specs.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Tom, go with the REI Tube Tent in the emergency products section. I think they are $8. Or bring me a 30 pack and I'll give you the one that we just carried down the Grand. :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used the orange tube tent, they were okay with the material, but they did make me cut to size right there on the ramp rather than leave it nicely folded and packaged, so be ready to have them measure. Why that is a priority, I have no idea...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yep, that's what I thought they wanted, already cut. That's so they know you have the right size if you need to use them.

By the way, they work well. The one time I saw a choppers come down (to take out a dehydrated backpacker) the pilot made it a point to come over and thank us for laying down the panels in a good spot. Makes it much easier for them when they're the right size.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yah, the tube tents work well, cut to size. But don't rely on them to actually get noticed by aircraft - - they help with landings, but to get the help tio begin with you most likely have to hike out or get radio or sat phone contact. It's all about timing. If you have daylight and are close to a hike out, go for it. Aircraft are not likely to see an orange X in the sand from 35000 feet so unless you get lucky and a tour plane comes over (which still may not be looking) don't just sit and wait for someone to see the orange signal panel or you'll spend an extra night on river with someone who needs help. Go get help - - by radio, phone or hike out. (This is based on personal experience). Likewise, signal mirrors are good to have, but the chance of being seen are slim so in an emergency, daylight permitting, go to a hike out point or use radio or sat phone to get the evacuation underway. Buena suerte.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts