Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
That stuff a lot more durable than a sleeping mat, but is also very spendy. I have seen it used on the deck of a dory.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm wondering if anybody has put any type of foam mat or neoprene on the boards?
You can buy whole sheets of seadeck that is made for boats.. its kinda spendy but it was 50% off on black friday.. one sheet did a dry box top and 3 coolers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally can attest to the beauty of the sparkling long planks! Magnificent in the sun of Deso! There's another reason he uses straps......... Quick release for the transformation into the "Bad Ass" smorgasbord table! Can't wait to see the new version with upgrades!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Has anyone had luck using 1/2" ply? I have some really pretty veneered 1/2" laying around I was hoping to make some sideboards out of, my main reservation is the span over the captians bay, I'd thought about running some aluminium under there or glueing/ screwing a strip of plywood on end to add some strength.

How much room is wise to leave between the inside of sideboards and coolers/ dry boxes?
1/2" is not that strong over a span. If you have a double rail frame, it's probably fine; if you have a single rail frame, I think you want that aluminum or wood rib running lengthwise. I don't think you need a short strip across the width of 1/2".
Epoxy/fiberglass is another idea that will not only add strength, but also keep the plywood dry...and keep the veneer from checking.

You could go as little as 1/2" each side between side boards and drybox/cooler.. You might get rubbing/squeaks if it's tight. If it's 1.5", it seems like a bad place to catch a thumb or toe.

Hey the pictures are of a new winter project, but I had the same stuff on my old AIRE Lion. The decks on that thing where 12' Long and I really liked it. I really don't see myself going in any other direction. they can tint it several differnt colors. I think Behr deckover was the first product like this, but this seems better.

You can use a more aggressive nap roller to add more grit if you want, but i found the medium nap to be just right. you can start with an aggressive roller and then brush it down to your liking also.

Here is a picture of my old cat
Sorry I missed this post earlier. Thanks for the beta!
Any issues with the doug fir checking under the deckover? I saw another poster mention that as an issue. Was thinking I'd glass the ply to seal it and eliminate checking, then use deckover for the finish.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Almost done putting my new raft together. Put my new boards on today and got my customized rocket box sling from Stitches 'n Stuff earlier this week. I wasn't so sure about the padded divider, but I'm really liking it. Sliding the boxes in is easier than the old drop bag I used and you always place it right where it needs to be the first time thanks to that divider. The bottom is also padded with some ethofoam. I had Jan customize the straps that go over the boxes so they would rest on top of each box. There are D rings on each end for a loop strap to go over both boxes. I really like it.

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
I have single continuous shaped to dry boxes and cooler 1/2” HDPE that is held on by 1 3/4” vinyl coated loom clamps on my DRE frame with aluminum flat sided bolts.

Getting the HDPE is the trick, $230 a sheet (which is a bit more spendy then marine grade plywood), getting it shipped is likely a disaster to the wallet. I was lucky and my buddy got a slug of free sheets from his project site a couple years ago.

Gotta say, cuts like butter, routes beautifully, isn’t nearly as slick as I thought, durable as all hell, and cleans up real nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could get some pics tomorrow, but I used Trek decking for Lowe's and some stainless pipe/conduit clamps. I covered them in 1" tubular webbing to avoid any rubbing on the raft itself. I think I like the idea of Ubolts better, but the Trek decking holds up really well. It has the same issue with flexing if I try to tie to it, so more clamps would have been better.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I could get some pics tomorrow, but I used Trek decking for Lowe's and some stainless pipe/conduit clamps. I covered them in 1" tubular webbing to avoid any rubbing on the raft itself. I think I like the idea of Ubolts better, but the Trek decking holds up really well. It has the same issue with flexing if I try to tie to it, so more clamps would have been better.
I had synthetic decking attached to my frame with u-bolts once... But it was SOOOO heavy.

I boat solo sometimes, and even when I'm not solo I'm often the guy at the river a day early to set everything up... It was too heavy with the decking permanently attached.

So I now run a wood deck that I have to rig each trip. A little more time but manageable by one person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aluminum tracks

Almost done putting my new raft together. Put my new boards on today and got my customized rocket box sling from Stitches 'n Stuff earlier this week. I wasn't so sure about the padded divider, but I'm really liking it. Sliding the boxes in is easier than the old drop bag I used and you always place it right where it needs to be the first time thanks to that divider. The bottom is also padded with some ethofoam. I had Jan customize the straps that go over the boxes so they would rest on top of each box. There are D rings on each end for a loop strap to go over both boxes. I really like it.

bcpnick, What are you using the aluminum tracks for near your oar towers?

·
Registered
223 Posts

bcpnick, What are you using the aluminum tracks for near your oar towers?
Those are slide tracks for my bimini.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is that a 156D that you're setting up by any chance? If so, I will call SnS and order that exact same rocket box sling. It looks perfect.
It's a 146DD. If you want the buckles to sit up top of the boxes like mine, tell Jan you want it just like she just did for Nick Woolley. I had to send mine back to get the buckles in the right spot but now they're perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone had luck using 1/2" ply? I have some really pretty veneered 1/2" laying around I was hoping to make some sideboards out of, my main reservation is the span over the captians bay, I'd thought about running some aluminium under there or glueing/ screwing a strip of plywood on end to add some strength.
The first seat I made was out of 1/2 marine plywood and I always felt like it was going to break when walking on it. Built my new seat/table out of 3/4 and have been much happier.
Side rails I made last summer are out of 3/4 marine plywood. I opted to attach using straps so as to make it break down easier. The only thing I'll add is to drill lots of holes to strap down stuff with otherwise you'll just end up drilling some after your first trip.
Pix of various things strapped to them are below.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My seat is 3/4" pine + 1/4" ply, glued together and coated in 4 or 5 coats of varathane.

Super solid with no flex over an 18" span.

My next seat will probably just be 3/4" ply for simplicity, but the old seat is probably stronger and lighter.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Good looking crew you have there, wfinley.

My girls are now 17.5 and 15.5...and it seems when we were boating with them at that age is a long time in the rearview mirror..yet only yesterday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good looking crew you have there, wfinley.

My girls are now 17.5 and 15.5...and it seems when we were boating with them at that age is a long time in the rearview mirror..yet only yesterday.
Thanks. I can only claim one of them. Somehow having a little girl and raft means you end up rowing a pile of little girls while the parents row ahead of you as fast as possible.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts