Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us are heading to CO this weekend for 9 days of paddling. We're hoping to run some of the Crested Butte creeks, especially Oh Be Joyful. Anyone know of a way to run shuttle that doesn't require 4wd? Can you hike the shuttle? If so, do you still have to cross the Slate river? We're most likely traveling in a nice conversion van with ground effects (not my van) and don't want to shred the fiberglass running boards or flood it when crossing the Slate. Anyone want to hook up for a run next Monday (June 27th)? Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Oh-be-joyful is like a mile long. It is a steep hike but I usually go for at least 1 weekend before the road is driveable. The hike is totally worth the boating and 4wd is a luxury. Most of the time you can even hitch with some other folks (maybe not with such a large group unless lots of beer bribes are involved).

Don't worry about it. Daisy will be running without snow bridges by then to. Sounds like you guys just need to go for it. Walking ain't to bad.

Nick Hinds

·
Registered
505 Posts
So what's wrong with driving the shuttle? Is it that you have to drive in the Slate? Last week I offered someone a ride up and he said he wanted to earn it. Is it machismo? Or is it to protect the high alpine environment? Or all of the above? Or none? Just curious. It sure is nice to drive!

·
Registered
846 Posts
nothing "wrong" with it...I just think that the area sees way too much vehicular traffic, mainly due to boaters. It is any easy walk. Walking makes me feel better and enjoy the run more. When you get down you can sit on your tailgate and have a beer instead of driving yet another truck up one mile to make yet another turnaround track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts