Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I was looking into getting a shredder and have been looking at both the ATI and the hyside paddlecat...Can I get some opinions on both of them to try and narrow my search a bit? Any help will be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Buy a Shredder

There are copies, but only one Shredder and that's the one from ATI. I love my Big Rocker, it kills it. So easy to paddle and surf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
paddlecat

Test them both if you can. I'm partial to the paddlecat because I can get dealer pricing on Hyside, and because I think they run stiffer. I also like the fact that they are not black. I'm mostly a fair weather paddler and on a sunny day thet ATI can get pretty darn hot. Although now, even that has changed. Hyside is making all of it's small boats with a black(glossy) neoprene layup as an option. So now you can get whatever you want.
If you should decide on a paddlecat message me here and I can get you a good deal on whatever they have in stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
paddlecat.

I just wanted to give some input, I have been paddling the hyside this season and the boat just flat out rocks!! its makes tight technical class 4 seem like class 2 to me. its light weight and super bomber!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here are a couple of stories about our Culebra. One is in Alaska and the Yampa

The other is from Tom Zimmer, who was Visiting Professor at Western State in Gunnison Co, and is now at Wyoming Catholic College. He takes beginning rafters and alternates them on the big raft and on the culebra, and will run them through sections like Cataract Canyon. When they have this alternate experience they have a more complete understanding of hydraulics and momentum. It is a wonderful program.

Note that there is a difference in design from all the other Shreader type boats. We put the cross tubes on top of the main tubes and raise the floor so the boat acts more like a cat and less like a raft. Performance is the key to the success of this craft.

Picture of the Culebra in Brazil courtesy Geoff Steeves

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
160 Posts

The other is from Tom Zimmer, who was Visiting Professor at Western State in Gunnison Co, and is now at Wyoming Catholic College. He takes beginning rafters and alternates them on the big raft and on the culebra, and will run them through sections like Cataract Canyon. When they have this alternate experience they have a more complete understanding of hydraulics and momentum. It is a wonderful program.

Note that there is a difference in design from all the other Shreader type boats. We put the cross tubes on top of the main tubes and raise the floor so the boat acts more like a cat and less like a raft. Performance is the key to the success of this craft.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shredder

Airtight inflatables doesn't really have a website. Go to ohiopyle.com/shredder and you will find their phone number and a few pics though.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

Thanks for asking.
I'm confused .... so these guys are either trying to paddle up the falls, or they are wishing they were in another boat? :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have been paddling a Colorado Headwaters (out of business) paddlecat for years and really like the looks of the hyside and now the aire.

Shredders are awesome as they are the original, my only issue with them is durability out west. They are lighter and more packable, fits in luggage and can fly or easier to hike in with.

Lighter always has a downside and that is durability.

The hyside and aire are proven bomber companies and although I have yet to paddle one I am sure they both will do great.

The aire has a movable rear thwart which enables you to customize the interior dimensions to give you a better fit. You use the rear thwart to brace off of to keep you in the boat.

Sorry JPWinc, I think you guys make great stuff but having a higher floor also makes your boats have a higher center of gravity and have seen them flip when I just cruised through the same line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts