Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
My name isn't Will
338 Posts
Well, shit.

I went down to the river to try out a “new” canoe. New to me. It was built in 1988. It is a hull I have been looking for over the last dozen years. I finally found a well used one.

When I got back to my parked truck, someone had done a hit and run on it.

At least the door still works, but it got a fair bit uglier. The truck was built in April 1997, and I brought it home five months later with eleven miles on the clock. I have sort of been expecting to replace it, but not for a few more years. Now I have to decide if it’s time sooner rather than later. Or maybe buy a Tesla and keep dented truck to haul rafts, kayaks, and canoes.

If I replace the panel, it will stick out like a sore thumb as it will be new and shiny, and the rest of the paint is 24 years old and pretty oxidized. Well, it already sticks out like a sore thumb. Will I get used to it? I might pull off the trim and beat it into a smaller dent, but the metal is creased so it will never get back into the right shape.

Then I need to decide new again or go used. Another Taco, or a Tundra? Crew cab or extra cab? If crew cab, six foot bed or short box?

Or do I consider a GM product with maybe a diesel power plant?

Be careful out there.

• Sad
Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
705 Posts
That sucks!! Probably a longshot but you might try a salvage yard to see if you could find one that would hopefully be a little bit more affordable and maybe match better. Sounds like you might be ready to move on rather than deal with this but just a thought.

·
My name isn't Will
338 Posts
Body shop sourced a panel from a wreck, so it would already be a cheaper part.

There's plenty of other dings that have shown up over the years. Just nothing that big. It was in the shop many years ago after a deer committed suicide by truck. I'm on my third windshield. A couple years ago, some lady rear-ended me in a parking lot because, for some reason, she thought I was going to pull out into traffic rather than wait for a space between all the cars.... Not too long ago someone either hit it with a vehicle or shopping cart and cracked a taillight cover. My plan has been to drive it two or five more years then replace it with what will probably be the last gasoline powered vehicle I'll ever buy. Maybe new, maybe used. I know I'll be more upset with tiny dings on a new vehicle than my good solid truck.

Maybe I'll get used to looking at it with that big dent and I'll use the insurance settlement as a down payment on whatever comes next in a few years. But I reckon I'll start shopping.

·
My name isn't Will
338 Posts
I did something unusual today. I washed my truck.

I had pulled my raft out for an upcoming trip and gave it a bath. It hasn't seen a river since October, 2019. That was for a river clean-up so it was muddy, muddy, MUDDY. I wanted to get it clean and dry so I could put some 303 on it which I'll do in a couple hours.

I don't remember the last time I washed the truck. I've been noticing a lot more dented vehicles on the road, so maybe I'll be totally fine driving my dented truck another few years. Mechanically sound. Paint is toast. Fabric... wearing out. Floor mat long gone and replaced. I already had the bucket and sponge, and the truck was mostly in the shade. I figured I owed it a little love. Cleaned off the surface dirt, but that paint will never ever be nice again. At least the big dent didn't break the paint.

I might even replace the struts for the canopy door so it stops banging me in the head. I probably won't fix the places where bird shit or rotting cherry flowers rotted the paint and have spots of surface rust. Character, right? Like my gray hair and wrinkles.

Long live Toyota trucks!

Reactions: soxfan

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
You can get gas struts for your canopy for about $15-20 on eBay. Definitely worth doing.
Just measure the cartridge length, extended length, and the weight rating (20#, 30#, etc)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I did something unusual today. I washed my truck.

I had pulled my raft out for an upcoming trip and gave it a bath. It hasn't seen a river since October, 2019. That was for a river clean-up so it was muddy, muddy, MUDDY. I wanted to get it clean and dry so I could put some 303 on it which I'll do in a couple hours.

I don't remember the last time I washed the truck. I've been noticing a lot more dented vehicles on the road, so maybe I'll be totally fine driving my dented truck another few years. Mechanically sound. Paint is toast. Fabric... wearing out. Floor mat long gone and replaced. I already had the bucket and sponge, and the truck was mostly in the shade. I figured I owed it a little love. Cleaned off the surface dirt, but that paint will never ever be nice again. At least the big dent didn't break the paint.

I might even replace the struts for the canopy door so it stops banging me in the head. I probably won't fix the places where bird shit or rotting cherry flowers rotted the paint and have spots of surface rust. Character, right? Like my gray hair and wrinkles.

Long live Toyota trucks!
I believe they call that 'patina' and many people pay big bucks for that worn look! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
'06 and my "custom" trailer build. Wheel bearings get kinda hot. This was actually the first outing for the trailer and the boat. 165k on the truck and about to replace the throwout bearing for the second time.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts