Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED This post is now dedicated to Toyota 4x4’s and boats! Let’s see those rigs! Preferably with boat attached.

I figured I’d share my recent solution to carrying my small cat, rigged, without a trailer. I did a search and only found one thread with reference to a similar project.

I plan to sheet the top, paint/seal, and cover with outdoor carpet. It’s very easy to load myself, but just to make it easier I’ll be adding a pulley anchor to the front and a roller to the back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looks great! I would recommend only sheathing the two sides where the tubes rest, leave the middle open.
Then you can still stand upright in the truck bed and move coolers around or manhandle the boat on or off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! I would recommend only sheathing the two sides where the tubes rest, leave the middle open.
Then you can still stand upright in the truck bed and move coolers around or manhandle the boat on or off.
Good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Definite maybe
908 Posts
Gen2 tacos are the best! 4 door with the 6 foot bed. Im in love.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I was going to suggest the same.

Great idea @rdramsey, no need to have the rack at bed height; just high enough for the cones to clear the cab--way less wind resistance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to suggest the same.

Great idea @rdramsey, no need to have the rack at bed height; just high enough for the cones to clear the cab--way less wind resistance.
It rides really well. I have just enough clearance to grab items from the coolers and enough room to crash in the back with a sleeping bag and a bivy bag. I’m going to order a couple more big SealLine dry backpacks for gear since I had to remove my Softtopper.

·
My name isn't Will
338 Posts
Gen2 tacos are the best! 4 door with the 6 foot bed. Im in love.
I've had my '97 V-6 for 24 years. I would consider replacing it if they still made 'em like that. I would even consider an auto transmission if that's all I could get. It's been at LEAST a half dozen times people have come up to me and asked me to sell it to them. I have a sale price now so I'm ready -- $36,429.15. I will knock of $400 for the right buyer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my '97 V-6 for 24 years. I would consider replacing it if they still made 'em like that. I would even consider an auto transmission if that's all I could get. It's been at LEAST a half dozen times people have come up to me and asked me to sell it to them. I have a sale price now so I'm ready -- $36,429.15. I will knock of $400 for the right buyer.

View attachment 66315
Awesome truck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice setup! definitely the way to go if you can rig it. Hope it's not a hijack but here's my take. Full size Ford/13' raft/all the gear in the bed. s

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I've had my '97 V-6 for 24 years. I would consider replacing it if they still made 'em like that.
I wish I'd have found a 3400 Tacoma or a 3400 T100. They never really were ever cheap. They were good when they were new, held their value, and still hold their value. Great engineering and a really great engine.
IMHO the 3.0L v6 that preceded it in lat 80's/early 90's 2nd gen 4Runners and 3rd gen pickups was the only turd Toyota ever made, but they followed it with one of the best engines Toyota ever made. Sort of wonder why they never continued using the 3400.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I'd have found a 3400 Tacoma or a 3400 T100. They never really were ever cheap. They were good when they were new, held their value, and still hold their value. Great engineering and a really great engine.
IMHO the 3.0L v6 that preceded it in lat 80's/early 90's 2nd gen 4Runners and 3rd gen pickups was the only turd Toyota ever made, but they followed it with one of the best engines Toyota ever made. Sort of wonder why they never continued using the 3400.
Aren’t the current gen Tacoma’s the 3rd gen? The white one posted above is a 1st gen, mine is a 2nd gen (05-15). Anything pre 95 is a Toyota pick-up.

on another note, checkout the feedback on tacomaworld, the 2nd gen tacos are proving to be just as reliable as previous models. I’m at 170k and have not had a single issue with my truck outside of normal maintenance. I previously had a 77 Toyota pick-up (sold with 409k miles) and a 97 4Runner (sold with 350k miles). Toyota’s are the best!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
yes--3.0 was in the 3rd gen pickup (the round body before the 1st gen Tacoma) - which is what I said and we're both right. :)

I got into rockcrawlers and used up an 87 4Runner (hence the username). It wasn't pretty when I got it...but then it got a 5spd swap, dual cases, and 5.38/locker/ 3/4T Chevy fullwidth axles and 37" tires and got flipped and an exo and...then got crushed when the old 22re bit the dust.
Also built a Formula Toyota with elockers, Longs, and 36's. Toyotas are awesome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes--3.0 was in the 3rd gen pickup (the round body before the 1st gen Tacoma) - which is what I said and we're both right. :)

I got into rockcrawlers and used up an 87 4Runner (hence the username). It wasn't pretty when I got it...but then it got a 5spd swap, dual cases, and 5.38/locker/ 3/4T Chevy fullwidth axles and 37" tires and got flipped and an exo and...then got crushed when the old 22re bit the dust.
Also built a Formula Toyota with elockers, Longs, and 36's. Toyotas are awesome.
Ah, just misread.

That so awesome! I’d love to get my hands on a 1st gen 4Runner and put some work into it. I plan to keep my 2010 until the engine quits, then swap it with a Diesel engine. My only complaint on my truck is fuel mileage and range.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The only thing I'd do to a 1st gen Runner is maybe swap in a 2.4l 3rz out of a 1st gen Tacoma. Otherwise keep it stock and drive it around with the top off.

Would you get a cab cut from an import diesel? And some Hilux badges!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only thing I'd do to a 1st gen Runner is maybe swap in a 2.4l 3rz out of a 1st gen Tacoma. Otherwise keep it stock and drive it around with the top off.

Would you get a cab cut from an import diesel? And some Hilux badges!!
Check out the website dieseltoys, basically you turn over your truck and keys and they’ll do a full swap with a new imported 1kd-ftv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
haha... you posted about your truck raft rack - which is cool - and everyone wants to remark on your TRUCK - @$% the raft part. funny stuff (and yea nice truck)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts