Mountain Buzz banner

Show me some weird boats

1813 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  coult45
I don't need another boat this year, but I'd love to find something a little bizarre add to the quiver for river running. Leave the rivercouch at home, show me something wild.

What's out there that's weird or different?

SOTAR makes a raft with a mesh floor

Hyside makes these tiny promotional rafts for trade shows

I think these JPW Cuttroats are pretty slick
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,387 Posts
I don't need another boat this year, but I'd love to find something a little bizarre add to the quiver for river running. Leave the rivercouch at home, show me something wild.

What's out there that's weird or different?

SOTAR makes a raft with a mesh floor

Hyside makes these tiny promotional rafts for trade shows

I think these JPW Cuttroats are pretty slick
I have the super cutthroat 2 since if memory correct 2013. Probably one of the first to buy them. It is just me on it for multidays. I have it set up with a NRS seat like a regular cat boat with a marine plywood floor and it carries all my gear no problem. I can sling a mesh seat that JPW made across the front bay, put two paddlers up there maybe a small person in the rear bay and the ARK is a hoot for day trips.

· Registered
715 Posts
You should read Brothers on the Bashkash. Eugene goes into some great detail about the Soviet handmade boats and equipment. That donut looking boat is called a Bublisk (spl?), Its just ferries and gets worked... They look fun!
Bublik.

Named after a Russian tradition baked bread that is very similar to a bagel.

· Registered
321 Posts
Not entirely sure what’s going on with the extra pvc and rope on the top at both ends. Some type of splash guard maybe? Something this size (12’ long, 44” total width) seems like it would be fun for niche uses. Liking okieboaters jpw super cutt.

Water Boat Plant Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Watercraft Boat Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
145 Posts
Not entirely sure what’s going on with the extra pvc and rope on the top at both ends. Some type of splash guard maybe? Something this size (12’ long, 44” total width) seems like it would be fun for niche uses. Liking okieboaters jpw super cutt.

View attachment 84671
View attachment 84672
I had a friend with one of those. It was actually really sweet. Definitely niche boat, worked well in small rivers/creeks. Was as easy to launch as a big IK but carried more gear/beer. The splash guard piece actually worked pretty well, albeit, wasn’t an important feature in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts