Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Mini-Max for fishing trips and joy floats. Nothing more technical than easy III. Would it be wise to have a throw bag?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Jeff

·
Registered
287 Posts
yes. things can go wrong on easy rivers too. safety preparedness is a must in any situation.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
No.

It would be wise to have two throw bags--one on the boat, one on your person. ;)

Welcome to the addiction. Be safe.
See you on the river.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No.

It would be wise to have two throw bags--one on the boat, one on your person. ;)
yep. i carry the astral integrated throw bag in my green jacket, salamander waist belt throw bag on my person and 2 nrs pro bags on the boat.

these come with me all time, no matter what.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
first, learn how to use it.
and make sure your passengers know too. you might be the one needing the help.

fwiw, most fisherman are just fisherman and rarely have much in the way of ww skill sets, as well. so explaining basics like throw bags, how to high side,swimming 101,where the pin kit is located,ect are good "pre-flight checklist" ideas too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
now some of you are going to disagree with me on this, but here it goes.

if you dont know how to use one, bring one anyways.

you could come around any corner on any river and run into a rescue situation. the bag on your boat could mean the difference between life and death.

what if the guys in the obj video only had one rope with them, you being on scene and being able to provide a rope to knowledgeable recusers could save a life.

dont get me wrong though, IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO SAFELY USE A ROPE IN THE RIVER IT CAN MAKE A BAD SITUATION EVEN WORSE.

bring it not so that you can use it, but so that you may be able to provide it to a rescuer in an emergency situation

....same with cpr kits, surgical and trauma kits

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes! And practice, practice, practice throwing the thing. Make a game of it with your buddies until you're all kick-ass at it.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
A Swift Water Rescue Course was the best investment I ever made. I Learned all kinds of very valuable skills. I was fun too. The life you save might be somebody else's.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
How needs a stinking throw bag? Throw bags are for helping other people. Just make sure everyone else has a bag to help you out!

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
When throwing a line to a Dirt Bag Kayaker tie a 6 pack to the end of the line or they'll just ignore it. Got to bait the hook so to speak.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
and a whistle but this is the kind of stuff you learn in a Swift Water Rescue Class. You can learn it slowly on the river or get up to speed with a class. You'll have as much fun in the class as any day you spend on the river.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts