Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a run in with this same psycho in 2015 when launching on Burro Creek. I had a fairly lengthy talk with him that was polite and informative explaining the laws in Arizona about public rights to access the river. He was unconvinced and threatened to call the Sheriff. I explained that we weren't looking to upset anyone but he was welcome to make that phone call. We told him that we'd pack up and drive home. He left looking satisfied. We launched anyway and had a great time on a rarely run AZ gem of a river. Seriously, you all should enjoy Burro nearby and Santa Maria if you ever have the chance. Super glad no one was hurt. Hopefully the long list of Felony charges will help convince him of what constitutes trespassing...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like a man in some serious pain, and by the looks of his place, it's been building for a l-o-n-g time. I doubt if this can be easily fixed by a one-time conversation, though an occasional plate of cookies with a friendly word does go a long way toward fixing things between neighbors. I seriously doubt if jail time would do anything toward making him a better man, though getting him out of the public and his losing his home and property might help that public somehow feel better for the moment.

This sort of thing festers in people's minds all over the world, for years, then when it crops up, everyone is surprised. It's happening elsewhere, right now. I, too, have a neighbor who recently blew up after some long festering I knew nothing about. We'd just as soon kill each other. Taking my own better advice, I think I'll start buying my neighbors some cookies on a regular basis. If he won't take them, the other neighbors will. (Then he will really be alone!)

A kind word and a little bit of forgiveness go a long way toward Peace on earth. But once a man pulls a trigger, the State loses its sense of humor and kindly settlements become impossible. I, too, have faced a hurting man who finally pulled out a gun. I too, have had a trigger pulled on me on a couple of different occasions. I, too, have watched as the State took over. It wasn't nice at all.

We've all witnessed fights, divorces, suicides, over slights, insults, and foolish words. A little genuine kindness, a bit of forgiveness, and a very few wise words go a long way in this sorry vale of tears.

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
But once a man pulls a trigger, the State loses its sense of humor and kindly settlements become impossible. A little genuine kindness, a bit of forgiveness, and a very few wise words go a long way in this sorry vale of tears.
Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone pulls the trigger...

Agreed about kind words and forgiveness, though.

Reactions: villagelightsmith

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Thanks for a really good post Village lightsmith.

Once someone starts shooting at other people, then the state has to do something, for other peoples safety, but sometimes there is probly a lot so many people could do to keep it from going to that last straw. Try to make peace, and forgive, if you can, it will do so much for you, and it could end up meaning everything for someone else.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like a man in some serious pain, and by the looks of his place, it's been building for a l-o-n-g time. I doubt if this can be easily fixed by a one-time conversation, though an occasional plate of cookies with a friendly word does go a long way toward fixing things between neighbors. I seriously doubt if jail time would do anything toward making him a better man, though getting him out of the public and his losing his home and property might help that public somehow feel better for the moment.

This sort of thing festers in people's minds all over the world, for years, then when it crops up, everyone is surprised. It's happening elsewhere, right now. I, too, have a neighbor who recently blew up after some long festering I knew nothing about. We'd just as soon kill each other. Taking my own better advice, I think I'll start buying my neighbors some cookies on a regular basis. If he won't take them, the other neighbors will. (Then he will really be alone!)

A kind word and a little bit of forgiveness go a long way toward Peace on earth. But once a man pulls a trigger, the State loses its sense of humor and kindly settlements become impossible. I, too, have faced a hurting man who finally pulled out a gun. I too, have had a trigger pulled on me on a couple of different occasions. I, too, have watched as the State took over. It wasn't nice at all.

We've all witnessed fights, divorces, suicides, over slights, insults, and foolish words. A little genuine kindness, a bit of forgiveness, and a very few wise words go a long way in this sorry vale of tears.
I'm not sure any of this could have been helped before the kayakers went down the creek from up stream. They likely had no idea of the man below. I would also guess the festering in the man was due to him believing he owned the rights to the water on his land, even if others told him otherwise. Over the years the anger built up. I'd figure the only way that could have been changed was to some how get law enforcement involved years prior, to let him know the law, before the rage set in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks to the boaters for following through and testifying so this crime will be punished. It sends a message to anyone that still thinks it's wild west out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts