Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I can’t find any info on this anywhere but I noticed Shoshone and barrel springs were both bone dry yesterday. Looks like the were holding up water at hanging lake dam. Does anyone know when the water will be released again? Hoping to R2 Shoshone today in a 9.5’ trib but would like to know if there’ll be water. If anyone has info I’d appreciate it. My apologies if I missed a previous post on this. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Just to be clear,,,, "Hanging Lake Dam" is nothing more than a diversion. Either the Colorado River water is diverted to a pipe going mostly to the powerplant at the top of Shoshone or it is going thru "Hanging Lake Dam" into Barrel Springs, or,,,, some splitting between the two. The "Dam" has essentially nearly zero retention so the question of "When will it be released?" is invalid. Below the powerplant, anything coming down the Colorado River is back into the Colorado River into what we call "Shoshone". Please, anyone correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Or, please explain it better than I can......:-(

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mike,

This year could possibly be a first. Green Mountain and other CO reservoirs are pretty much tapped out. Releases have been very high for quite a while. Even back to late last year. Everything is being doubled-down to keep Lake Mead above rationing levels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just to be clear,,,, "Hanging Lake Dam" is nothing more than a diversion. Either the Colorado River water is diverted to a pipe going mostly to the powerplant at the top of Shoshone or it is going thru "Hanging Lake Dam" into Barrel Springs, or,,,, some splitting between the two. The "Dam" has essentially nearly zero retention so the question of "When will it be released?" is invalid. Below the powerplant, anything coming down the Colorado River is back into the Colorado River into what we call "Shoshone". Please, anyone correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Or, please explain it better than I can......:-(

Thank you so many people still believe the dam holds water because of barrel being dry my friends still don’t fully believe me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts