Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info about scheduled maintenance on the Shoshone Power Plant in Glenwood Canyon?

My understanding is they do scheduled annual maintenance in the fall.
If either or both turbines are turned off, there will be enough water to run Barrel Springs.

Any idea who to call for info?

Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
No info, but if you find out, please post. I regularly find out at the putin when I notice there is enough water coming down to be worth the hike or when I drive past on the way to Gore.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Shoshone Power Plant is down for some unknown reason.
All 1700 cfs is in Barrell Springs.
Unknown how long this situation will last.

I can't get over there until Sunday, any reports would be good.
Any catboaters that want to run Sunday or Monday, send me a PM.
Or call 3zero3-589-3zero21 Richard

Get it while its running!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
From Division 5: "The Shoshone Power Plant is not operational at this time and there is not a definitive timetable for the power plant to come back on-line."

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not sure if construction/canyon shutdown would have any reason for it.... Flying in stuff for rockslide mitigation today and tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm not a cat boater, but I am a rafter and kayaker. Everything below upper death looked good to go. Upper death had a very precise line that was more than I want to take on. I just happened to be biking by it today. That being said, I think the rest of run is class v but doable by cat boaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoshone Power plant is back on, so Barrel Springs is off.
Sounds like they did a temporary repair with permanent repairs in mid-Sept.
So there should be another opportunity for Barrel in mid-Sept.
Anyone with more info, please post.

We went over on Sunday. Glenwood Canyon is a zoo on weekends.
Tough to park at Hanging Lake, Grizzly or Shoshone.
We did a bike scout from Grizzly, all three constrictions looked stout, but doable.
Did a triple cat stack and drove to Hanging Lake.
CDOT and State patrol had Hanging Lake exit shut down with the ramp blocked, no way to get to put-in.
Disappointed, we turned around and ran Shoshone.

Will try again in Sept if we get the opportunity, but it WILL NOT be on a weekend!

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have been hiking barrel rapid all year from shoshone because parking is impossible at hanging lake even on a Tuesday afternoon. Maybe things will get better after labor day, but right now even weekdays are pretty much a no go. Sad, really. not that I am hating on tourists, but we have been using this access for years and now due to the forest services new parking policies at hanging lake, we can no longer access this run. Seems like it is time to close hanging lake or permit it. To much traffic is going to eventually damage the resource anyway.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hiking from Shoshone was discussed.
But 1/5 mile downhill is much easier than a mile uphill.
Even with very lightweight cats.
Ironically we did not need parking at Hanging Lake, we had a driver, we just needed to drop and go.
Disappointing to hear weekdays are bad also.
If the River Gods give us another opportunity, we will be going in at sunrise!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts