Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Shoshone Closures - Public Meeting in Glenwood Spgs 4/7 from 4-6 pm

I know this is last minute, but I am counting on the fact that none of you get anything done at work besides checking the 'buzz so here goes:

CDOT has an initial plan to close all boater and public access to the Shoshone put-in in Glenwood Springs Canyon from next week to the end of May for I-70 construction. While you would be welcome to walk up from Grizzly (which you will only be able to access from Westbound lanes), for those of us with big fat rafts that is a bit more of a logistical nightmare.

If you can, come to the Glenwood Springs Rec Center today (Thursday the 7th) to meet with CDOT and explain our concerns. It sounds like they are amenable to the idea of finding a compromise and were unaware of the difficulties this would cause such a large and vocal community. But we do need to be large and vocal.

Here is the Post Independent Article for more info: Glenwood Canyon concrete paving to begin April 16, continue through June | PostIndependent.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
Save Our Ramp!!! Lets come up with a workable solution. We especially need outfitters and guides, they will have the most pull.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well. Here's the skinny that I gained from the meeting:

The dates for full Shoshone closure (for everyone, including commercial) are from April 18-June 1st. No one goes in or out but powerplant workers at 6 AM.

Once that phase is finished, June is only open to commercial companies. Let me say that again, no private boaters are allowed on Shoshone until early July.

So in the month of June, CDOT somehow plans to allow all the commercial trips in through the construction, but no private boaters at all.

A gray area was brought up that what if the private boaters hire a commercial shuttle company and have all their shit ready to drop in the river and go? They might have said yes-ish to that. Not entirely sure.

My question is how are they going to tell? Is the sign guy going to get to pull a Gandalf all summer? You Shall Not Pass! (Sorry)
Or are all the privates going to be attaching themselves to commercial trips like little, highly skilled, slightly drunk parasites?

So the wait now is for the official posting from CDOT of how they will determine who is legit for the run and who isn't. I encouraged them to be as black and white (and public) about that as possible 'cause otherwise we will clog up the whole interstate arguing with them at the exit ramp.

That is the very official (and apparently non-negotiable) word.

Feel free to call Tom Newland at 970-773-4357. He is the 'public information manager' for the project. He seems quite friendly. The CDOT guy just glared at me most of the time.

So, happy Shoshone poaching!

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
I requested they keep semis out of Grizzly and instate traffic control at both Hanging Lake and Grizzly during the duration of the project. They seemed open to that.

It may be worthwhile to work with the Forest Service to create a schedule of times for the commercial groups to launch so we can work around them. In the past I have only received vague answers from the outfitters themselves.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is this the final say? Why isn't there more public comment? How was the turnout to the meeting? I should be looking more at the Buzz at work!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well. Here's the skinny that I gained from the meeting:

The dates for full Shoshone closure (for everyone, including commercial) are from April 18-June 1st. No one goes in or out but powerplant workers at 6 AM.

Once that phase is finished, June is only open to commercial companies. Let me say that again, no private boaters are allowed on Shoshone until early July.

So in the month of June, CDOT somehow plans to allow all the commercial trips in through the construction, but no private boaters at all."

Just a clarification question - When you say no private boaters are allowed "on" Shoshone, are you meaning we cannot park at Shoshone, or is the river closed to private boaters until July?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts