Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Roll-O-cot but it needs a big tall tent. Has anyone modified the cot to fit into a smaller tent? It looks like you could cut the legs down almost 4". AND you can buy a spare set of legs for $20.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
For $20, go for it! Mine is a long wide, which I love. Height is only one of my issues in a small tent.

If you cut em, you might try a spiral pipe cutter. I used one on my frame build last year. Much cleaner result than any saw. Just a light touch up with a file and the ends are very clean and finished.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yup, mine are cut down exactly 4 inches on their regular sized cot. This does lower the setting on the cot distance a noticeable amount but you get used to that fast and no issues.

Works great for me in several of my tents that are basically all one or two person size.

I found out the real fit issue of cots in tents is not so much the floor area but the amount of slant in the side walls of the tent.

I checked with Roll A Cot and they said to be very careful and not cut too much off as that would affect the way the cot goes together.

Be careful as I bet the 4 inches only works on the roll a cot regular cot, might not work on the wide or wide/long models.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The pipe cutter is the way to go. I have used one on NRS frame pipes as well with excellent results.

Gives a nice clean cut that is impossible for me to get with a hacksaw. But, my hand eye coordination is not very good these days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thermarest

They're pretty pricey (friend has one, too much for me) but thermarest makes one that's built really low to the ground... has little round legs...maybe 4-5 "?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a friend who didn't cut the legs for the cot. Instead he places two cots side by side and puts the tent on top of the cots. Saves the tent floor.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love the Roll-a-Cots for sleeping on my boat and outside in general, but have also found they just don't play well with the tents in my quiver.

They're pretty pricey (friend has one, too much for me) but thermarest makes one that's built really low to the ground... has little round legs...maybe 4-5 "?
For Christmas I got the SleepRite cot by Travelchair that Cascade Outfitters still has on sale - same basic concept as the thermarest. It's kind of fussy to set up compared to a roll-a-cot, but super comfortable, especially with a paco pad on top, and plenty low to fit inside my tents. It also is really light and packs up small enough to fit in my drybag. At the $147 sale price, it's in the same price range as a roll-a-cot, but I highly doubt it will last anything near as long.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It's also really narrow- I needed the extra width roll-a-cot offers.to keep my arms from going dead

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I looked at the Travelchair cot and the Helinox Cot One. Both had good reviews for comfort, but only fair reviews for assembly. The Thermarest cots had even worse reviews for assembly and parts that broke. I'm going to try out my Exped Synmat pad in my UL tent for kayak touring before investing in a low rider cot. If trees are on the menu, then it's hammock all the way.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've had an Exped down mat that I bought in '05. Very comfortable and warm. I just used it a couple of weeks ago on a beach camping trip and love it...except for the process of filling it.

Still, waaay more comfortable than my pacos and roll-a-cot, perhaps even more than when I combine the two. Though, the height of the cot is better than being on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Roll-O-Cot should design their own tent who's poles engage into the frame of the cot. Bug screen floor could Velcro under cot(s).

If Roll-O-Cot isn't interested perhaps Big Agnes would like to take a run at it.

Door on the side please. Until that happens I'll keep my bivi-sack handy if it rains.

They can send me a prototype to demo and I'll check it out for free.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've had an Exped down mat that I bought in '05. Very comfortable and warm. I just used it a couple of weeks ago on a beach camping trip and love it...except for the process of filling it.

Still, waaay more comfortable than my pacos and roll-a-cot, perhaps even more than when I combine the two. Though, the height of the cot is better than being on the ground.

Yeah, I have a bum knee, and kneeling is a PITA, but I need to go small & light for kayak touring. The hammock is my favorite way to sleep if I'm not on my roll-a-cot in my Big Ass (Big Agnes) 4 man=1 gal & cot & gear tent. Kind of hard to find trees for the hammock while paddling at Lake Powell though.....so I got a Sierra Designs Lightning tent and the Exped Synmat medium/wide. It has the built in pump that's ok, but not perfect. Kind of like two minutes of CPR on your pad. Then I got the schnozzel bag, and bingo, problem solved. Four bags full of air squeezed in while sitting comfortably in my camp chair and.....voila, it's ready for bed.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a hammock as well, only been able to use it on MF, Selway and main trips, and then, only for naps. It weighs less than a pound, so cool to have for a layover.

I hear that regarding bum knees. That said, you'll be very comfy with the pad. Great product.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I love my Roll-O-cot but it needs a big tall tent. Has anyone modified the cot to fit into a smaller tent? It looks like you could cut the legs down almost 4". AND you can buy a spare set of legs for $20.
kengore,

Where did you find the spare set of legs for $20?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts