Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
Miles are definitely easier in a kayak. Packing/unpacking too. And even with a big ol' boat like my Tornado (or a more sea kayak style boat), space for food an poop tubes becomes more of an issue. I can see how it might be worth giving up some days to do it a different way, but the LONG trips are just a different kind of joy because more days is just more days no way around that. Things change after a week. They change even more after two weeks. It's hard work, and it becomes a wonderful lifestyle that we all miss when we're away.

Last trip down we came across a fellow in his 70s doing a solo kayak trip. He had a giant fiberglass boat he built in his garage in 1967. We had heard at put-in that there was a solo kayak trip scheduled to launch. He caught up to us around Nautiloid. Very nice guy. I was shocked he paddled barefoot. Only knew because we all stopped to look at the fossils and his shoes were... no shoes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
A group of 5 of us self-supported in packrafts in 8 days in 2014.

NBD. Had time for an ~hour hike most days. You gain back lots of time if you're not faffing about with tables and groovers and all the misc shite that raft groups bring.

The few times we've had kayakers join our self support trips they have taken an hour+ longer than even the slowest packrafter when packing up in the AM. Every AM, without fail.

Lots easier to repack the inflatables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts