Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would say that Shipley would have a great shot at the W. Question is does he still have every crushing stroke?
Scott, you out there?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don't you worry, Matt, the master will crush every single stroke like you have never seen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the question is does Scott still have the competitive juice to take up the challange? As an old, married dad he may not have the fire these day's. What say you Scott?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shipley may be pushing 40 and Tao may be in his 20s but it's Shipley's home creek. He's got to have the advantage. Should be a good race.

·
Registered
648 Posts
How many World Championships does Tao have? I know Scott has 3 and it is his home creek run. Tough call, but I think Scott has an edge. There is something to be said for age and treachery -vs- youth and whatever. Slalom paddlers bring a more precise set of paddling skills to the table too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Question

I'm not blasting any of you who are invested in this, but why do you care. If they are competing against each other, that’s cool, but I don't get it. For me, boating is about what I can do with people I like doing it with. I can't see getting invested in another paddlers abilities? Park and play and manufacture events are cool to see what equipement is out there and learn some new tricks that I can try to emulate, but does anyone but the sponsored paddlers care who wins?

Enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Canada, some people find it fun to bomb down creeks at high speed, without stopping, with their friends for fun. If you enjoy that then eventually you think it might be fun to race against your bros and whomever. I don't think it's about proving abilities at all. Shit, I usually lose and I can tell you that it is fun to bomb down a creek as fast as you can, and fun to boatercross with guys like Holcombe and Bechtel because you realize how fast and powerful they are as paddlers. I don't actually care who wins, but the bet that Tao placed is worthy of some shit-talking among those that will be racing. Keep in mind that last years race was 1/2 locals and 1/2 pros. I think some of the locals had more fun, and they lost.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Rockies and the Yankees go to the World Series. I'm not going to remain obstained from the winner because I like to play baseball.

Scott's a great guy and a true legend in our sport.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Fun level up there yesterday! Things could get interesting if levels come up a bunch for race day. Regardless, it's gonna be a sick race. Big thanks to Craw and Scott for a great time on SSV last night. Such a good run!

Here's local legend Scott Young working on race lines last night:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Doesn't Tao have a slalom background as well?

Canada, quit being such a Debbie Downer. Competition is an age old human condition and it's cool when some of the best come to compete on your home town run. Racing a run does automatically preclude you from being a soul boater and having fun with your bros. Have you tried entering a downriver race before? It's a good time whether you're going for first place or just competing against yourself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think that it's all in good fun. Competitive, but still fun. Shipley probably won't do it if it won't be fun for him, or some kind of challenge. That's the point of retirement: not having to deal with the not-fun parts any more. But, if he wants to show up and race then I think it will add to the event and add another story to it. Who knows....

I, personally, only competed in a few freestyle events because they are not fun (opinion about my own experience, which does not reflect how I feel about the discipline in general...)
I did race slalom for a few years. Sucked at it, but did it because it was a challenge that I enjoyed. Even through the frustration and cold training days I still had fun in the long run. (and met some cool people, like Scott, along the way)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey frenchy, you lyons locals going to be up there tonight for some narrows laps?
tj, you misread- I'm no ssv local. yesterday was just my second time down the creek. great run, by the way! you want to get in touch with scott young- it's his back yard and he's always looking for people to paddle the creek with. level was good yesterday for the whole run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think we are going to have a kickass turnout for the creek race this year. I think the water will be high, and the field will be deep with all the cash at stake. Bragging rights too! Shipley coming out of retirement. Awesome! Kind of like a paddling Lance, yo!
I am glad Tao made his boast and put his money where his mouth is.

As far as competition and smack talking, I am a Lyons local who paddles SSV as much as I can and just have fun paddling it. I compete to represent and honor our bro, Adam Barron, after whom this race is named, not to win. I work a "real" job all day and cannot paddle 300 days a year, so winning the purse is not even in my sights. Having a good time and clean lines are all I am about (Jihad is a pain in the ass) Where the hell is the 40+ class?

Lyons is going be rocking next weekend! Bring it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Paging Tommy Hilleke

Thought the topic needed a bump.

Will there be any bookies at LOG? My money is on the field.

I would love for the legendary Tommy Tsunami to enter the creek race to make the field even deeper.

I am really looking forward to LOG. It is going to be awsome. And I will be there in person when Tao forks over the dough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts