Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the staircase yesterday 3 times with no issues. It was my first class iv...well not sure its a iv at this level.

Will hells canyons 2 class iv rapids be any more difficult? How about bear trap canyon on the Madison in Montana?

Wanting to start doing more difficult runs but don't want to die doing it if you get my drift:lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've never kayaked Hell's Canyon, but I remember it being big, but if you stay on your line, it would be pretty straight forward. If you got lost in a couple of the rapids, everything tends to get much larger. So in other words, it's straight forward class III-IV, but the wrong line could get ugly. Beartrap is easier than Staircase. It doesn't require much except dodging boulders and holes, but doesn't have many defined lines (at least from 2006 when I last ran it). I would still call Staircase and Slalom Rapids class IV at these levels.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I was in a 14.5 oar Raft. There's a cancellation for hells canyon Wednesday but want to head down Monday or Tuesday. Anyone is welcome to come.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ran the staircase yesterday 3 times with no issues. It was my first class iv...well not sure its a iv at this level.

Will hells canyons 2 class iv rapids be any more difficult? How about bear trap canyon on the Madison in Montana?

Wanting to start doing more difficult runs but don't want to die doing it if you get my drift:lol:
This is Granite at 19,500 cfs. There is a sneaky line left of the hole that is always mostly good to go. Its just a pool afterward. I don't think it's as techy as the Staircase in my opinion. Probably not running this level anyway. This hole will flip big boats if you hit it wrong. Sheeps is the other one to look out for. So much fun on that river. I got caught in a hail storm Memorial Day weekend this year. Had to put my helmet on the hail was so big. Then it was HOT. It's Idaho, be ready for anything. I got some friends putting on two days after you. One it's her first time in a ducky above class II. She's gonna have a blast and so are you. Good Luck.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

Check this video out on mtn buzz

Snake River through Hells Canyon video - 7/6/15-7/11/15 posted by markdl

I love hells canyon the first 30 miles

In the forum

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice video. Flows should be around 8k. Those still photos make them rapids look huge. Looks fun. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice video. Flows should be around 8k. Those still photos make them rapids look huge. Looks fun. Thanks for the info.
Usually they are releasing more water from Brownlee Res. Not this season though. That video is a hoot. In my experience that wave on the center right of granite deserves a lot of forward motion and consider the wave is slightly coming at you laterally. Most of the water is going that way, but without forward strokes it'll send you sideways into the meat hole. GIVE'ER if you go that way. Reminds me of the V wave in Lava. On a smaller scale. At higher flows there is a sweet green tongue that takes you for a huge drop and jets you through it all if you make it over the lip! Flows lower than 18,000cfs and the wave closes out and you gotta break it to make it. The left line is pretty chill. Just tuck in next to the obvious point rock and follow the V. At higher flows there are some nice holes not to be messed with on the far left line behind the pointer rock. Upper Bernard is something to pay attention to at the 9k level. Just like most boating in Idaho, forward strokes are your friend. Nothin wrong with getting in the correct spot, however once yer there...GIVE'ER HELL would be my advice. We had a boat stick in Upper Bernard and an inattentive crew decide to fall out of their boat. It was hilarious. Watch out for poison ivy. Hells is thick with it. If you bring dogs don't snuggle too close.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
rocky Staircase vs. Hell's…..not really the same. Swirly eddy lines down below the drops, large, crashing and at times irregular waves in Hell's.

If you have a roll though go for it. Besides the two bigger drops you will be hungry for surf and hunting for bigger features. The recovery zones are so big. On most stuff it adds courage and sometimes poor decision making into the mix. I dropped into a much larger hole than I should have been in ...maybe ...and broke my entire cockpit rim.

Some buddies do a park and surf at a wave out there that comes in at 6 to 8K. Haven't joined them on that one but sounds fun.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Hell's Canyon is bigger water but pretty fat lines and not really that technical in comparison with staircase. The biggest hazards in Hell's are the spiders and jet boats. Beartrap has been running at minimum flows most of the summer from a very small snowpack in the madison drainage and at minimum flows Kitchen sink is really a III+. Flows of 1700+ move it to a real CL IV and big (rare) flows in the 4000+ range will push it to class V.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think my wife and her friend launched near you, or you were at Staircase when they ran. They were in Black/red/white tan/purple 12.5' 12.5' Sotar cats.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will be in Boise area for a few more days. Any other good runs around?

Headed to sf salmon and alberton gorge on way back home to Montana. Watched some YouTube vids and they don't look too bad but vids usually don't do the rapids justice.

Sure is fun being laid off lol.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I meant the main salmon that runs along hwy 95. That should be OK right?

Ya the canyon was fun. Ran it Saturday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts