Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 121 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Cool old machine! After making some mesh tote bags recently I was wishing I had a cylinder arm machine for the top edge webbing.

I did end up buying a swing away binder from Sailrite (likely made by Suisei) and holy shit what a time saver, I can't believe I did so much binding by hand...binding by hand suuuuucks.

So many quesions...
  • Is the "cylinder" by the thumb screw some sort of binding routing thingy?
  • Binding attachments are readily available?
  • Is the machine in time?
They work like this when mounted...

Notice how the binder arm moves with the walking foot too, so everything stays lined up. That is the main difference between this kind of machine and just putting a binding attachment on a flat bed machine. That Sailrite attachment does look like a nice upgrade though. A buddy picked up a couple of binders while he was in Vietnam and I played with them a bit on my Juki and it defintely made it a lot easier.

Turning by hand...everything seems to be timed allright but I haven't had time to do much more then bring it inside.

Shaft went over it already but clutch motors were/are pretty standard for industrial machines and are sometimes single phase and sometimes 3phase...both wtih varying voltages depending on their use and needs. A lot of the new machines have gone to Servo motors now though. As Shaft said, clutch motors are very finicky and hard to control especially a novice sewer. Its crazy how good the sewers in most industrial/commercial settings are at it...but for me its almost unusable. Think of it as super stiff old truck clutch when you didn't know how drive a manual. It goes from zero to out of control in the matter of a quarter inch or less of pedal input.

A servo motor basically solves the control problem by just having a potentiometer attached to the pedal that then controls a servo motor. It has a control box that allows you to adjust what RPM the motor spins for a given pedal input as well (Just a dial or buttons up or down...very simple). I put one on my Juki and I can now just chug along as slow as I want. The slowest setting is actually annoyingly slow for most things but if you are doing work trying to keep multiple layers lined up its REALLY nice to have. I put a smaller pully on that one too, so higher torque and slower speeds and can go even slower.

Since this machine came with a 3-phase motor its kind of a no brainer. I'm sure a VFD that varies the speed would help... but I think the VFD would be more expensive then the Servo motor setup ($140 for the whole thing) and you'd still have to deal with the clutch. I have the single phase120v motor from my Juki I could put on it...but just don't wanna deal with a clutch.

I'm actually thinking about building a belt sander/grinder and I think these clutch motors might be amazing for that since you'd basically design the belt sander to run at full speed/full clutch engagement so you'd just stomp on it to get the sanding belt spinning but could also use it to attenuate the belt speed.

121 - 121 of 121 Posts