Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
This thread has me shopping for sewing machines even though I don't know how to sew and not at all crafty. Keep sharing so I can live vicariously through everyone's skills and creativity
You gotta start somewhere! I picked up a Singer Heavy Duty about a year ago with no knowledge on how to use one. I've done a couple small projects so far and just need to get some material for some bigger ones.

· Registered
116 Posts
@Bootboy Those are some nice looking buckles. How much are you paying per buckle?

Also, I'm slowly gearing up to start on some boat/drop bag projects and looking for a little advice for purchasing buckles who are you all buying from and how do you decide on which buckle to go with? I was looking at buckles on strapworks.com and they've got several options to choose from for the 1" buckles.

· Registered
116 Posts
What size thread are you using? I've found this needle/thread guide from Sailrite to be helpful.
I'm using a 100/16 gauge universal needle, I'm not sure about the size of the thread. I purchased it from strapworks as a 4oz spool.

I watched a video today on selecting a needle type and they recommended using a ballpoint needle for woven fabrics. I'm not sure if polypropylene webbing is considered a woven fabric or not.

· Registered
116 Posts
Try to get a full overlap on your webbing at the corners and bartack it when you sew it up...otherwise the mesh will try to tear between the webbing at the corners.

(You can probably make some good laps with the webbing when you add d-rings, but webbing is typically strongest along its length and doesn't do as well across its width...so again...bartack/zigzag!!)
Is bartacking when you just reverse back over the line you just put down?

Once I have the boarder straps sewn in they will look like this.
Outerwear Jersey Textile Sleeve Grey

Azure Mesh Line Font Urban design

Then on the corners I will sew in some D-rings that will look something like this...

Textile Art Wood Mesh Pattern

Textile Mesh Organism Plant Wall

After I sew in the D-Rings will that be enough to secure the corners and keep them from tearing?

@Shaft I've done some test lines on some scrap fabric/straps and with the universal 16 needle the machine doesn't have any issues.

@gwpatrick So far after a couple of test lines with the thread and a size 16 needle everything looks good (for my skill level, or lack there of lol). I might try and get a hold of some size 18 needles as I'm sure that will make things work even better.

· Registered
116 Posts
That's what I thought! I think I've mostly just heard it referred to as tacking or I just wasn't paying attention enough.

Great, thanks for the reassurance! I was getting a little worried I would have to redo some of my boarder straps lol.

· Registered
116 Posts
The black straps the D rings are attached to are going to go all the way across the tarp? Creating a web?

The one beef I have with the gear tarp I had made is I just had them put grommets in a double layer of fabric as attachment points. It's held up well to ~20 years of use(abuse?) But when I have the replacement made, it will be better reinforced.
I was planning on only going in a couple of inches on each D-ring, maybe like three inches or so?

· Registered
116 Posts
I finished up my gear sling. I think it turned out pretty good considering I totally winged it. I've got eight d-rings around the perimeter and two offset from the center. It's 28"x42" and fits nicely on the back of my mini max. Hopefully it will fit just as well when I've loaded all my gear. Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments

· Registered
116 Posts
Unless your plan is to start a business buying a sewing machine to make your own gear is way more expensive than just biting the bullet and purchasing from someone who already does it. So really the fool is the one who expects to save money from this hobby. Anyone who flyfishes and ties flies knows this. I personally really enjoying creating things from scratch and in addition to that sourcing gear for my mini max is almost as much as a pain in the ass as sourcing the material lol. As of right now that's a $300+ drag bag lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts