Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Abby, A good friend of mine is a kayaker, he's the one responsible for getting me hooked on rafting.
I finally bought a 10.5 raft. Well the other day he invited me on a trip in the spring on some technical creek in Idaho.
He said he wanted to see me "boof" my raft. Should I be concerned? Can he fit a banjo in a piranha? He asked me to "carry some gear" for him. I guess my wife's and my concern is I may be defiled, we've all heard stories about kayakers? Are they true? I want to go on this trip but don't want to hear how "Purdy" my mouth is and I can't really squeal like a pig.
Your thoughts please on my conundrum. This trip sounds like fun till the tent sharing part comes into play.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Dear Sammypsycho:
Dude. Deliverance was based in Georgia. The guys were in canoes, not kayaks... And it was the weird inbred locals that raped them and made them squeal like pigs, not their fellow canoeists.
I guess if your buddy's sittin there playin the banjo at camp and you suddenly hear another banjo in the background, then maybe you should worry.
Sincerely,
Abby

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
id be more concerned about your boating skills to run a technical creek in Idaho in spring time...
x3

You should spend your time learning to run your new boat instead of trolling kayakers. One day the words "grab onto the loop" may sound like an angelic choir to your chundered, soggy, whupped ass.

Welcome to rafting. Take your coworkers out on a few splashy trips and you'll be over the Deliverance-themed jokes by the end of the season.

Be safe,

-AH

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

lameness....

I'm new to rafting but not paddling. I have about 10 years of canoeing, currently I have a 13 foot mad river whitewater canoe. We run the creeks here in ND IN THE spring or when ever we get a lot of rain. I'm cool with class II stuff anything bigger and it takes on a lot of water. Trying to navigate a swamped canoe sucks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Dear soggypants,

Kayakers can no more change their ways than the sky can change from blue to orange. Beneath their gruff, drunken exterior most are gentle little butterflies that blow away at the thought of getting cold or sleeping alone or running out of alcohol. Keep them well supplied with the things that they need and one day you may find yourself like a flower, wilting in a chaotic torrent and you may need a butterfly to float in and make it all better.
It is a beautiful symbiotic relationship that inspires greatness in both parties. Both of your species have developed specialized skills and attributes to help the other survive. Respect the grand creator of all that is (Eric Jackson) and you will be fine.

AVB

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I get sooo confused with these kind of threads, and there are a lot of them on this board. I never know who to hate on, or with. I'm a former open boater, I paddle a creek boat 100+ days a year, I've been to multiple Freestyle World Championships to root for my son and many other friends and I love multi day trips whether kayak self supporting or rowing a raft. My gf just got a minimax so I can't even hate on R2ing now. WTF?

I'll tell you WTF. The rio is what we all love and have in common and if you aren't bringing the love for all your brothers and sisters of the rio then you haven't learned the most basic boating lesson yet.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I get sooo confused with these kind of threads, and there are a lot of them on this board. I never know who to hate on, or with. I'm a former open boater, I paddle a creek boat 100+ days a year, I've been to multiple Freestyle World Championships to root for my son and many other friends and I love multi day trips whether kayak self supporting or rowing a raft. My gf just got a minimax so I can't even hate on R2ing now. WTF?

I'll tell you WTF. The rio is what we all love and have in common and if you aren't bringing the love for all your brothers and sisters of the rio then you haven't learned the most basic boating lesson yet.
I'm with you Phil. Good stuff. It's still okay to poke fun, with a sense of humor.

I must admit I'm still struggling a bit with the whole Creature Craft deal though....

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
So if you woke up alone in the woods, and your but really hurt, would you tell anyone? "no" Hey, want to go camping next weekend?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I had assumed this was pretty standard for the different factions of paddlers and oarsman, at least that's been my experience.I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure people are "butthurt" as much as unamused. Wasn't "Deliverance" released about 40 years ago? The rape jokes are just as played out as the rafter/kayaker rivalry debates. Your smack is weak! Hope you're rowing skills are better than that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I had assumed this was pretty standard for the different factions of paddlers and oarsman, at least that's been my experience.I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

The only person that's going to be butthurt at the end of this trip is you. Unless you take a page from dick n bush in the early 2000s and stage a preemptive strike, then your kayak buddy can answer his buddies' serious questions about canoers turned r2ers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.