Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a semi guided trip? Was thinking of the main Salmon or the Middle Fork... would like to bring and row my own boat, but leave gear and cooking etc to someone else? Barring that does anyone have a favorite outfitter they recommend for the same trips? Would be bring a newbie along and would like it to be nice for her first trip...Thanks much for any input!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Most outffiters on the MFS are booked %100 for number of boats and really don't have room on their permits to let someone BYOB (bring your own boat). You will need to call outfitters and ask if BYOB is an option they allow. Call around, some outfitters just might allow you to BYOB but it will be a hard sell because they need to meet their insurance regulations. I have seen Dory clinics and kayak clinics where you BYOB and they feed you you on the MAIN. Don't expect to get a reduced rate. Your rate will most likely be increased because of the risk you will bring to the float. Good Luck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a semi guided trip?
The company I used to own specialized in guiding row-yourself trips. I believe they still offer that option. The company is Oregon River Experiences. I'm pretty sure they don't have any permits on the Middle Fork, but the Main is a possibility.

I never allowed a guest to bring his own boat. I would have no control over the quality or condition of the boat, or its compatibility with our style of boating.

In Idaho I had to get a special license from the IOGA as an outfitter to conduct my row-yourself trips. Nobody will be able to do that on short notice, and won't go to the trouble for one customer.

All in all, I would recommend that you find an experienced group of compatible people to team-up with. Do a private trip. There is no such thing as semi-guided.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I looked into this for the MFS last year and it wasn't hard to find. Middle Fork Rapid Transit? Can't recall- but start there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try Yellow Jacket outfitters....they did this for us OnThe main Salmon a few yrs ago. We had a few full price paying friends long, so I don't recall details. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Most outffiters on the MFS are booked %100 for number of boats and really don't have room on their permits to let someone BYOB (bring your own boat).
Not sure what this means. When a commercial outfitter shows up they tell the FS how many boats they have and it's done. We did it a few times for folks who had some experience when I was guiding. And I know it is still done.

Don't expect to get a reduced rate.
True this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for all the info everyone... definitely some pieces I hadn't considered...Have a hard time remembering to consider liability issues, as I was raised to be responsible for myself,and not look for someone else to blame if something did go wrong... Long for those days to come back, but probably not going to happen :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know my uncle has done exactly this the past 3 years on the middle fork and I believe the same thing on the main salmon.

Yellow jacket, as mentioned, sounds familiar, so that may be it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Definitely doable just need to call around. Several rafting acquaintances I know have done this when they want to take family on sections they have never rowed. Won't be cheaper but allows you to be on the oars. Its still simply a commercially guided trip as you are using their permits/user days.

Phillip

·
Registered
66 Posts
PhilipJFry is on the mark and I sent dscott58 a PM regarding this, but for the sake of future searches and the community I have commented here. Momentum has accommodated this type of request on a very limited basis in the past, and I imagine will do so in the future. I have guided trips on the Rogue and Klamath personally when this has taken place and I know it has taken place on the Salmon as well. It would be worth a call to see what the possibilities are, Cheers.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not sure what this means. When a commercial outfitter shows up they tell the FS how many boats they have and it's done. We did it a few times for folks who had some experience when I was guiding. And I know it is still done.

True this.

Back in 90's I pulled sticks for Barker, Exodus, and Northwest Voyagers and on both the main and MFS we were restricted to a max number of days, boats, and heads on our trips. Maybe this is no longer true and commercial outfit can put 50 or 60 boats on the river? Later DBK

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Maybe this is no longer true and commercial outfit can put 50 or 60 boats on the river? Later DBK
Wow I never knew any commercials that could run 50 people. Glad you got in the glory days.

Edit by the kinder, gentler carvedog: of course there is a little on max amount of boats but with the logistics of the way a commercial trip runs you don't come close to the threshold unless you had all your regular rafts and took 10 kayakers and then you might. Adding one boat doesn't do it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow I never knew any commercials that could run 50 people. Glad you got in the glory days.

Edit by the kinder, gentler carvedog: of course there is a little on max amount of boats but with the logistics of the way a commercial trip runs you don't come close to the threshold unless you had all your regular rafts and took 10 kayakers and then you might. Adding one boat doesn't do it.

Caredog, I never said that 50 boats were allowed in the 90s. please put the beer down and reread! :roll: Don't take my words out of context! :rolleyes:

I believe that with Barker we could only put 12 boats in the water back then. And we were always 100% book months out. Just saying.

As I said, I do not know the current regs. But I'll defer to you because you are the self proclaimed expert on all that is related to Idaho whitewater. I bow to your wisdom. Because transplants are way smarter than the limited gene pool Idaho has to offer. Later Sug!

·
Registered
190 Posts
We did a Canyons Inc trip about 10 years ago that had a bunch of kayakers, a conoeist or 2, 4 fisher folks on a raft, maybe 4 raft passengers on another raft and a couple of women rowing their own mini-cats for the learning experience. And Greg McFadden running sweep. The trip was amazing, the Canyons crew was awesome and are highly recommended.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
For what it's worth, in Colorado in the 70's we had at least one monster trip a year on the upper Colorado or North Platte or both, with a minimum of 75 people; one trip had over 120 on the upper Colorado, and on another memorable weekend on the North Platte we had almost 100 on three "trips" running at once. Very few recall that trip clearly; it was very intoxicating, so to speak.
I met my wife on that trip but didn't know it for two years.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"Row Your Own" on Commercial Trips

Hello,

I'm an outfitter on both the Middle Fork of the Salmon and the Rogue River and can tell you about my experience with what you're asking about. (I've heard this called a "row your own."

We generally LOVE having experienced boaters row their own (or kayak) boats along on our trips. There are some liability and licensing issues that we have figured out.

The key is that as an outfitter, we have a responsibility to look out for your safety. We've had some issues with experienced boaters before, so we've come up with some guidelines at:

www.echotrips.com/row/

Some of what we have written might seem a little harsh, but we have had people who are not physically able to row the river which has caused safety issues for the rest of our trip. In short, if you want to row the river, are physically able, and want to be part of our group dynamic, we'd love to have you join us!

We've had several groups of private boaters who enjoyed our trips so much that they now come with us every year or every other year. Yes, booking a commercial trip is quite expensive, but we do all the work, cooking, and take care of logistics so you'll have a nice, relaxing trip.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Zachary Collier
Owner/Outfitter
Northwest Rafting Company & ECHO River Trips

1 - 18 of 18 Posts