Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're on a Selway launch in 6 days and a couple of the folks have a question about what boat to bring. According this chart, where the campground guy at Paradise calls it in somewhat regularly, it was 3.2' at Paradise yesterday.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3792611.pdf

.....but, according to this conversion chart for the USGS Lowell Gauge, it was around 2.6' at Paradise. It's about 2.4 this morning. The folks coming from MO can bring either 15'-16' rafts or 12'-13' rafts. It may be just under 2' (atleast, we hope it is no lower), I'd appreciate any in-put from folks that have run it at that level. The other four boats going are 16' cats and one 16' Aire raft.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I probably should have mentioned that everyone on the trip has multiple MF, Main, and GC trips under their belt.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The gauge conversion is imperfect. Trust the ranger report.

we had 16' rafts make it at 1.2'. We didn't bring the kitchen sink and had a 2:1 boat the person ratio. I took a 14' and would have been happy in smaller if I had one.

So I suppose it depends on # of passengers and amount of junk that you haul.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
We ran it at 1.5 (but dropping) in 12 to 15 foot rafts lightly loaded just fine.

I have never found raft length to matter as much as weight, frame width (more of a variable on Cats), oar length and tube diameter. I would go with the rig that is relatively narrow, shorter oarsman and more buoyancy myself....

I rowed the 12 footer on that trip and it was the perfect rig IMHO....made all of those narrow chutes and ledge drops a blast, especially Ladle at those low levels.

Phillip

·
Registered
358 Posts
FYI Ranger report may be based upon the conversion - the guage was not in the water 2 weeks ago was laying in the rocks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies folks.

FYI Ranger report may be based upon the conversion - the guage was not in the water 2 weeks ago was laying in the rocks.
That could explain the discrepancy.

"Yeah, This spot looks like were it was last time" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but are we calling 2' low water? I mean it's not 3 to 4', but.... Sounds like plenty of folks run 14' & 16' boats down at that level. The Super Pumas do look like a ton of fun for a single oarsman. I was impressed w/ how much gear they had strapped on. Which was my concern with the spread of group gear among boats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts