Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BuzzMates:

I have listed a couple of Boats on Craigslist recently and have gotten a number of responses that are suspicious. I have never sold anything on Craigslist before so I am not sure if they are legit inquiries, or some attempt to defraud me.

On three occasions someone has texted me and said they are going to send me a cashier's Check, wait for me to deposit it and have it clear and then arrange for pickup. The offers were from three different phone numbers but were all eerily consistent in their contents.

I have responded to all that the terms are cash and carry, I don't want a check and I don't want to hold their boat after it is theirs.

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
519 Posts
Cash or no deal on Craigslist, in my opinion. No holds and no games with checks. Craigslist is full of people trying to scam, I always feel a good rule is to not trust anyone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just Googled this issue and found the the Craigslist Scams page that described this exact event.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I'll send you a check for $10,000. You deposit the check and keep $3500. Wire me back the $6500 that is over payment and I will contact a "shipping control officer" to collect the merchandise....

You could string along the scammer and have them send the fake check, play up a story on how hard life is and how you have not been able to get the fake check to the bank...etc, etc (see link for ideas on how to scam the scammer: Busted Up Cowgirl)
OR
Meet me in person and hand me cash or verified funds check or Paypal me the $$ and I will wait to ship the merch until the Paypal $$ are deposited to my account. Anything else leaves you open to getting scammed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The whole thing sounds weird, but I'm not smart enough to figure this out. What's the point of the scam? Wasting your time with going to the bank to be denied on depositing a phony cashier's check?

Edit - didn't see the post above. Figured the cashier check would be for the amount you were asking for. See, I'm not that smart. And there's no way I'd do any of that, just trying to figure the angle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
sometimes the cashier check clears at first, you send off some money to the scam artist and later the bank holds you accountable for the bogus check. It's a well known scam.

Cash deals only when selling or buying on craigslist.

·
Super Moderator
3,885 Posts
This thread is starting to give me a bad feeling about the deal I'm doing with the widow of the former Nigerian Minister of Justice who needs help getting her late husband's $20,000,000 out of Botswana....

But seriously, with CL, cash or no deal. Meet in a well lit parking lot to do the deal.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
You might try giving the reader specific instructions in the ad, like "respond with your phone number in the title and I will reply promptly." This helps weed out the spam and keeps you from having to post your own number online.

I meet in a public place to make the transaction and I don't give the person my address. After the sale I don't want someone showing up with questions or concerns. I also will entertain offers, but not once I've taken the time to meet them and inflated to boat. If someone tries to haggle at this point I walk.

I've had good luck selling all kinds of stuff on Craigslist, but people are flakes.I never hold anything for anyone; the first to hand me cash gets it.

Last but not least, take the ad down as soon as you make the sale. It's the courteous thing to do.

·
18' Kodiak
67 Posts
Oh boy, one can can go on and on about this subject. Everyone's advise given so far is good. But I would tell you first off to go with your gut obviously. Even with eBay.
I have done several transactions through CL, buying and selling, everyone of them has been fine. A central location is good but I've visited with folks at their property, and I've had them come to mine. Only if in both cases we talked on the phone first. But if I get a response from someone whose spelling, punctuation, and overall grammar is that of a four year old I walk right away. Even if their selling and can't construct a paragraph, I'm not buying. And if they don't respond with a phone number I don't think their serious at all. Click on the link that brendodendo has in his post above. Read that. I would have been done with them from the first response. Now a typo or so ya, we're all guilty of that. I'm no English scholar but reading, "im wantin you lawn mowr. what the lowest price", makes me want to put the XDM up to their forehead.
And as it has been mentioned. Cash on the barrel head, and meeting in person, is the best. But... PayPal is a great tool. Don't deal with any checks or money orders what so ever. Checks are so 1980's, I can't even remember the last time I wrote a check. I've pushed up to 2K so far with a CL transaction using PayPal and all was good. I felt confident the whole time. Of course I talked with the chap on the phone a few times prior to sending money. If they say they don't have a PP account, well they don't need one to move money, that's not a legitimate excuse.

Back to the gut thing... Works every time. You'll know when you have a serious legitimate buyer with money.

I have responded to all that the terms are cash and carry, I don't want a check and I don't want to hold their boat after it is theirs.
Good Idea!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I also prefer to meet in public places. One that I was slightly suspicious about had me try something that I liked. We had agreed to meet at a grocery store, but based on their location and mine, I suggested we meet at the police station and we can make the sale there. Never heard back so glad I wasn't going to a robbery. I always drive by public meeting places for purchases up to 15 minutes before and have already asked what kind of car they'll be coming in. This way, I can watch them approach and see if anything is funky.
I always go armed.
Your gut is a pretty good tool, use it!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bought and sold stuff on cl, including buying my tomcat. If you can communicate on a phone call, or maybe even text it is likely ok. Otherwise delete the message and move on. Anytime you post an ad, you always seem to get one scammer. The check thing also gets into account info. Cash, though the buyer on my tomcat took a money order. Have a listing for tools and already had one bogus email. Delete and done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can stop payment on a cashiers check and if it's out of state it's hard and expensive do do anything about it. If you agree to hold a check you lose most of your rights under the bad check law. Cash works the best.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
50 Posts
No texts

Don't put your phone number in. Make them respond via email through CL. Every time I put my phone number in I get scam texts. So far, if I make them go thru CL email I've not got any scammers.

If someone is really interested, they will give you their phone number and you can call them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had better luck selling old boating stuff on Craigslist than I have had here on MB.

Every time I have tried to sell something on here I get a bunch of drama about what my asking price should be. On Craigslist I have gotten some scam replies of course, but no one felt the need to tell me what my asking price should be. I have received offers lower than my asking price, we negotiated, and settled on a price we both agreed on.

Easy peezy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had one offer to buy a raft sight unseen. Strike 1. Grammar was obviously that of a foreigner or a complete dolt. Strike 2. They then proposed some mumbo jumbo about check exchanges and me paying a shipping company before they came to pick it up. Strike 3 and you're out. That whole thing took one email each way to determine they were scammers, and I called them out for it as blatant thievery and pathetic laziness. If they put that effort into legit activities they could actually make a living. I sent the emails to craigslist but I can only imagine how many of those they receive.

So it's not difficult to see the scam coming, this one had lights and sirens all over it. If it sounds wrong it is.

Now on the other hand, I've had several transactions through Mtn Buzz classifieds that have gone over as smooth as they can, no problems with trust or follow through from anyone over 8-10 transactions both buying and selling. One factor would be the limited niche audience of Mtn Buzz vs. untold #'s of Craigslist pages.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am always annoyed when a seller insists on cash when PayPal and venmo are essentially a cash transaction. Looking forward to the day when people will generally trust some form of instantaneous digital transaction as much as cash. For one, I hate showing up to meet a stranger who knows I'm carrying a huge wad of cash

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
I am always annoyed when a seller insists on cash when PayPal and venmo are essentially a cash transaction. Looking forward to the day when people will generally trust some form of instantaneous digital transaction as much as cash. For one, I hate showing up to meet a stranger who knows I'm carrying a huge wad of cash

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Most of the instant transactions take a day or two and can be cancelled by the sender. Cash is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts