Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for self-support fire pans? I did a search but didn't find much and nothing recent.

·
his dudeness
7 Posts
I use an older metal oil pans- rthe ound ones to drain your car oil in, back in the days when we used to do that (and they weren't made of plastic). They have about a 3-inch lip, and will work for a small group. Mine fits nicely, upside-down (and last to go in) in the rear hatch of my Dagger Katana for self-supports. Either bring a bag/old pillowcase to put it in, or plan on scouring it with sand if you don't want your other gear to be smudged.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pop Up Pit.
Thanks, I have a pop up pit. It is 8lbs or so more than I'd like to put in my SP sea or river kayak.

Looking for something I never use but will pass regs no matter where I go.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$1 foil turkey pan rolled up if you just need to satisfy regs. +1 on the oil pan if you actually want a fire.
Kool, do turkey pans pass the regs everywhere? If so, I'm going to buy me a turkey pan.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use an older metal oil pans- rthe ound ones to drain your car oil in, back in the days when we used to do that (and they weren't made of plastic). They have about a 3-inch lip, and will work for a small group. Mine fits nicely, upside-down (and last to go in) in the rear hatch of my Dagger Katana for self-supports. Either bring a bag/old pillowcase to put it in, or plan on scouring it with sand if you don't want your other gear to be smudged.
That is exactly what we have. I have a Katana 10.4 and Peg has a Katana 9.7. Obviously would also work in our three Prijon Expeditions.

Does this options pass regs everywhere?

·
ADVENTR
26 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm willing to pay any price for what I need. (Thank you Randy)/

What are my options?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My goto small firepans are a stainless steel sink out of a camper, and a brass dish that was used for holding nuts on a table. Both of these have round corners which makes them pack friendly. Non-oxidizing metals are super easy to clean with wet sand... if they actually get used.

Second-hand stores are good place to look.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, more options please. I've been self support and others have had Ti options. If I'm paying the money I want it to work everywhere.

·
Registered
86 Posts
lightest of them all, well crafted, not the most space efficient, but if you can stuff something in the tube with it, it goes for sure.
I tried one, liked it, but ended up building a traditional aluminum one. I can send you my receipt from the online metals place that has all the dimensions if you'd like. Hit me up with your email and I'll send it over.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
lightest of them all, well crafted, not the most space efficient, but if you can stuff something in the tube with it, it goes for sure.
I tried one, liked it, but ended up building a traditional aluminum one. I can send you my receipt from the online metals place that has all the dimensions if you'd like. Hit me up with your email and I'll send it over.
This is the one I think a friend had on a MF self support a few years ago. If it passes mustard there it likely passes for a firepan anywhere.

I emailed the dude to see if he is still in business. I've PMed you my email address.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I modified a Trailblazer Pot Up Pit to shave a little weight and still be useful for a fire. I have seen the Titanium ones and I they work but kind of hard to set up and have lots of sharp edges. It is too small for Grand Canyon but should be OK for most other rivers. 12" x12" with a 3 inch lip. 35 ounces. I made the legs long enough to support the optional grill in case I want to use it. I am still thinking about using a thinner gauge metal for the leg spreader, it's now 1/8" but that's what I had laying around and it would only save an ounce or so........... I am working on a way to make the spreader fold up to fit the bundle while still being rigid enough. This is pretty much a prototype but I am satisfied with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is the one I think a friend had on a MF self support a few years ago. If it passes mustard there it likely passes for a firepan anywhere.

I emailed the dude to see if he is still in business. I've PMed you my email address.
I have one of Tom’s early models and have used it a few times with good results. The MFS ranger seemed impressed. carried in a plastic poster tube.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is one firepan that works well for me on small trips

I made a neat unit from a small oil change pan that is also good. fits into a DO cover. BigHorn gave me the idea for it.
Based on Zach's,Okieboater's and others recommendation and owning a popup already I went ahead and bought a trailblazer. They give you a chance to win a discount and I won enough to make it a no brainer.

I still want to pursue the Ti firepan from Tom. It is really light and compact. Since I'll likely never use it, that is what I need to just satisfy the regulations.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I modified a Trailblazer Pot Up Pit to shave a little weight and still be useful for a fire. I have seen the Titanium ones and I they work but kind of hard to set up and have lots of sharp edges. It is too small for Grand Canyon but should be OK for most other rivers. 12" x12" with a 3 inch lip. 32 ounces. I made the legs long enough to support the optional grill in case I want to use it. I am still thinking about using a thinner gauge metal for the leg spreader, it's now 1/8" but that's what I had laying around and it would only save an ounce or so........... I am working on a way to make the spreader fold up to fit the bundle while still being rigid enough. This is pretty much a prototype but I am satisfied with it. View attachment 62888 View attachment 62889 View attachment 62890
While I had it out I hinged the spreader to fold up. Bundle is now 12 1/2 X4 x3 inches and weighs 35 ounces with carrying bag. Grill adds 13 ounces.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts