Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should self rescue skills,such as swimming a rapid be taught to new boaters before they learn to roll???

Let me know what you experienced boaters think!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
they should know how to swim first. even if you just teach and practice on dry land can be effective in showing how to keep your feet up, to avoid entrapment. also, going over exit strategies and swimming through eddy lines. Also how to swim over/avoid strainers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yes, these topics should be covered with newbies and even experienced boaters alike. just last w/e, i was with someone on grizzly who put himself at a high risk of foot entrapment. this is a guy i have boated with before, and is well beyond newbie state. he swam (after attempting to roll 2 or 3 times), and quickly tried to stand up in waist deep water while holding his boat downstream of him. the water appeared to be slow, but it was plenty strong enough to hold him if his foot became entrapped due to the added pull of his boat. he let go of his boat rather quickly after my verbal lashing, but still "walked" to shore.

i can't remember the exact saying, but i heard something along the lines of "don't try to stand in moving water over ankle deep" in some safety class i took. a good thing to tell your newbie and beginner friends.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd suggest they take a whitewater\swiftwater class. Or even read one of the river rescue books out. I have Slim Ray & Les Bechdal "River Rescue" book and think it's pretty good, and pretty sure Charlie Walbridge has a good book too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rasdoggy said:
Should self rescue skills,such as swimming a rapid be taught to new boaters before they learn to roll???

They should be told how to swim a rapid and avoid foot entrapments before they get onto moving water. You can teach them how to exit and roll a boat first but that shoudl be done in a pool or a lake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lurch said:
rasdoggy said:

They should be told how to swim a rapid and avoid foot entrapments before they get onto moving water. You can teach them how to exit and roll a boat first but that shoudl be done in a pool or a lake.
Yep!

·
Registered
480 Posts
See if you can find an older video put out by Kent Ford called Kayaker's Self Defense (or something close to that). It has a lot of good self rescue stuff in it as well as rescuing others. It's worth the money for both of you to watch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts