Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Would be a tough swim with your feet tied together and a rope/bungee attached to them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
HOLY $#!+, thats incredible footage! That bridge is 111 meters above the river; that is 364 feet. Her 25 meter fall at the bottom of the bungee stretch is still ~80 feet headfirst! Seems to be about a 4 second drop; lucky not be knocked unconscious.

Even without a snapped bungee cord, bungee jumping can put a severe strain on ankles, knees, hips, the spinal column and neck (note the "ragdoll" comment before the break); I know a chiro who has had many clients seek out his help after bungee jumping.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I flipped when I saw this clip on TV. This is located immediately below the famous Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe-Zambia border. Eight years ago I ran that rapid below the bridge. I think it's called Entrance Rapid - and it is HUGE. She is lucky to be alive. There are crocs in that stretch, too, and we joked at the time that a Class IV with crocs is an automatic V.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unreal - if you were to tell me that she fell 25 meters (82 feet) into the start of class IV with her feet tied to a 25 meter + bungee cord/rope, I would say that odds are she would die...amazing that she was able to make it out of that situation! And yes, I agree that any class IV with crocs or hippos is automatically a class V! Shoot, you could say that about class III too! haha.

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
Oh boy, here we go......!!!!!!!
Naww..I am not going to bite.

Whatshisname thinks my two statements are related. Maybe I should have put a couple of returns in there to effect less panty bunching and possible retaliation from the NUT-CUP ( or National Unification for Togetherness - Coalition of Ugly People ).

·
Registered
950 Posts
HOLY $#!+, thats incredible footage! That bridge is 111 meters above the river; that is 364 feet. Her 25 meter fall at the bottom of the bungee stretch is still ~80 feet headfirst! Seems to be about a 4 second drop; lucky not be knocked unconscious.

Actually, if she free fell 80 ft it would take 2.23 seconds but it was likely she already had an initial negative velocity during the bungee snap. Therefore, she would have free falled for less than 2.23 seconds.

Sorry, getting back to the new spring semester and projectile motion is the most difficult concept for my undergrads to grasp :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Amazing story and all the credit possible to a young lady with the "right" stuff.

I read that the authorities have refused to tell the media just how many jumps that bungee cord had on it. I suspect a bunch and I wonder how well the cord has been taken care of.

My take on bungee jumps is the knots and attachment points are at the same point and over time weaken to the point they will break like the one we are posting on this board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts