Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of mountain biking, rock climbing, and kayaking. Why is it that kayakers seem to bail last minute on plans more than any other group I know? In the last two weeks I've had no less than a dozen people bail out in the last 4 hours of paddling plans. Does anyone else have this problem? I for sure thought it was me (maybe I'm an asshole?) but I end up paddling with all these people again in the future. I'm not super pissed about it, just sick of not being able to boat because people back out.

I've even met people on the river and had a great time, talked about how I can't find a solid crew because everyone bails… they agree that sucks and we make plans to boat. Then they bail too hahahahhaha fuck me! I just want to paddle :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
if I counted on my friends, I would never get on the river. I findly gave up on them, usually just hire shuttle but that limits where I can go. they just want to float frog water and bring all their dogs to run wild and get mud on all our shit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep getting people to committ to anything is just difficult. I live in Montrose and started keeping a list of all kayaking contacts in our area. I now have a list of 10 people that I randomly call and try to organize runs with every weekend. I call everyone on Thursday to explain where we can go and find out who is coming. If they haven't commited by Friday with go with whoever shows up on Sat. morning. I only paddle really safe streaches or popular runs by myself. Kayakers are not the most organized bunch of people around.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The problem is not just with kayakers.

Last week I had asked TWENTY-ONE PEOPLE to come with me in my boat to float the New River...no takers. (all have at some time asked me to take them, some are regulars as well

Week before that I asked about 12 with the same result.

·
Registered
326 Posts
12 years ago i sold my paddle raft and bought a 14' cat for the same reason. i could never find people to go. they always had some other thing to do, like clip their toe nails or something.

if i waited for people to hit the river, i would rarely get on the water. i run the river solo quite a bit, many times i meet new people to run with. of all the people i met on the river this year, only one every called me to go out again. and we did.

i do plenty of shuttles by walking, hitchhiking, and sometimes my motorcycle.

i have come to the conclusion that many people like to talk about the big water they run, and all the gear they have but when it comes down to it, it is many times just talk!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have a solid crew that seems to stick to plans. We often pick up strays at put ins. Meet some really cool people this way. But if your out there alone take your time at the put ins and net work with those launching. Maybe even camp a night or two. Also, If I see a someone thumbing a ride wearing a pfd.. I always pick them up. They might be riding in the back but I do make room.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
It's just the way it goes. We've had people bail the morning of launch on multi day trips. Oh well their loss!

Rich
And that is why if I am doing food and shuttle I get a deposit. And my friends that I have known the longest, got into boating with, are the worst it seems.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
We often pick up strays at put ins. Meet some really cool people this way. But if your out there alone take your time at the put ins and net work with those launching. Maybe even camp a night or two. Also, If I see a someone thumbing a ride wearing a pfd.. I always pick them up. They might be riding in the back but I do make room.
I've been the stray at the put-in (and I brought beer!), and I always invite strays at the put-in.

Go anyway. Life's too short to nix your own plans because your friends were flaky. I have one friend who bugged me all winter about running the Lochsa. Every weekend I planned to go, he bailed. His loss. I hit the river anyway with several old friends and introduced a new crew to the river. My gain.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have one friend who bugged me all winter about running the Lochsa. Every weekend I planned to go, he bailed. His loss. I hit the river anyway with several old friends and introduced a new crew to the river. My gain.
Are you sure you don't mean SHE? LOL, I seem to be pegging the flake-o-meter latey!

I second just showing up, that is a good way to meet people that are actually boating.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
No, you had good rationale. :)

He let other people plan his weekends. I let my family have the first vote on what we'll do the rest of the year; I save up my trump cards for when it's my 3-4 weekends to hit the Lochsa.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Why does it happen? River levels, finances, egos, bruised egos, injuries, needy S.O., finding a new S.O. after the old one dumped you because of river jealousy, gear failure, lost gear, and on and on and on. Kayakers are fickle.

If you want to paddle you need either a small group of like minded, similarly skilled people with roughly the same schedule. Otherwise you need to be a freelancer with a lot of contacts in your phone. The best way to get a lot of contacts is to show up a lot, be solid, be fun and don't be a leach. Meet people in every way possible, take out, rescues, shuttles, gear swaps, winter roll sessions. Sooner or later you will meet the people who actually like to boat not just the ones who get out when the stars align.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Solid people with lost gear/gear failure seem to be able to borrow gear to get back on the river.

...it's the egos, bruised egos, needy SO, ISO SO people who are frustrating.

...or the person who bails on you because she was on a MFS trip. Jealous, but forgivable. ;)

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Well, it seems to me, if you have problems getting friends to join you on the river the issue is either the quality of your friends, or your quality as a friend..............see what I mean?

But, as far as inviting people, being a commercial guide for a bunch of years burned out my censors as far as who could join me. I mean, when you've hired yourself out for money you don't get much say about who does the hiring. If you know what I mean. As the old line goes, we've established what you are, now we're just negotiating the price........

But, even a wrinkled up old guy in a PFD draws the line at Kayakers :rolleyes:

I mean, they drink all your booze, eat all your food, expect you to haul their stuff, act like they're the second coming and bitch about ................. everything.:)

Even outcast guides gotta have some pride, see what I mean?;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey street Doc, happens to me all the time, I thought the same, Captn Bly, I'm I an ashole, we go to westwater once a month, and 6 person permit most of the time its 3 of us going but you know, everyones going until your going! call me 970.390.0137 leaving today ww theirs room on are gates of lodore, on the 7th of aug.I think two seats open, you can row a boat on that one if you want. and I got another westwater in two weeks

·
Registered
69 Posts
So true I got 3 cats and if I got to go by myself the cats lite and I can put it together by the river my self, same gos to you call me if you can make any trips.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts