Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Buzzards, does anyone know of a good geology guide for a grand canyon trip?

I'm looking for something a little more in-depth, I have a background in geology and I'm hoping to take point on rock talk.

Leaving late feb... gonna be frosty 馃お

Thanks!

Registered
Yep - and the last time I was at Marble Canyon they sold both volumes. One covers from Lees to Phantom, the other Phantom to the lake.

Registered

Super Moderator
You know, it'd be a lot simpler if you were a creationist, don't you? "...and all this was deposited while Noah was keeping the lions and tigers from eating the other animals... (but just don't ask me how the 13,000-foot thick Grand Canyon Supergroup got deposited, then tilted up and beveled off before the rest of the flood deposited the Tepeats, Temple Butte, Redwall, and all the other formations...)."

Registered
River Runners Guide to the Canyons of the Green and Colorado Rivers. Marble Gorge and Grand Canyon edition.
George Simmons and David Gaskill
Published by Northland Press in cooperation with the Powell Society
Mile by mile description with emphasis on geologic features.
May be hard to find but worth looking for.

Premium Member
River Runners Guide to the Canyons of the Green and Colorado Rivers. Marble Gorge and Grand Canyon edition.
George Simmons and David Gaskill
Published by Northland Press in cooperation with the Powell Society
Mile by mile description with emphasis on geologic features.
May be hard to find but worth looking for.
Amazon, 1979 Edition

Reactions: GeoRon

Registered
I purchased this book in 1990 while studying geology at the university of texas. Its the most in-depth geology book on the GC out there. You can get the first edition used for a small pittance compared w/the second edition. The first is fine. Lots of info........

Registered
Here are a couple of links:

(1) Some good photos and descriptions of stratigraphy and canyon features. There are 4 parts to this series. Part 1:
Grand Canyon Rafting - part 1

(2) Recent updated geologic map by Karl Karlstrom:
Geologic Map of Eastern Grand Canyon, AZ:

(3) Collection of recent Grand Canyon scientific papers (Timmons and Karlstrom editors).
Grand Canyon Geology: Two Billion Years of Earth鈥檚 History; GSA special paper 489:

(4) The Great Unconformity of the Grand Canyon by Jack Share

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all!!

I have made some purchases already and I'm getting stoked during my pre bedtime reads!

Registered

Registered
I tried the links after posting and they don't work. I am not computer savvy enough to know why. If you google grand canyon guide by hamblin and Rigby you can find the links and click on them and get them to work. maybe some one else can put up the right links. Thanks

Super Moderator
the links took me straight to the PDF files of the guides, which I've just downloaded. They look like very detailed guidebooks with beautiful cross-sections and other information in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts