Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Section House hut has an oven? There is conflicting information on the web. Please help if you have been there recently.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I stayed there a couple years back..... i do remember an oven... Woodburning and it did have a propane cooktop as well

Nice spot big building. great fireplace stove in the great room. we had it too warm at one point

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will let you know after Wednesday March 2nd. we are headed up Monday through Wednesday AM. I am pretty sure it is a straight up flat forest service road the whole way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The trail/road is an old railroad grade, so it's just a long slog in, and it's hard to get up much speed sliding out, so a long slog back out as well. We did this trip years ago, and the skiers only beat the snowshoers out by about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep..... 6 or 7 miles up the road. very nice views. you will have no problems with route finding

the skiing is not fantastic, but nice ski touring in the area across the road from the house

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info nemi West but, has anybody been there recently? I don't know if the oven situation has cahnged in the last three years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Heading up to the Section House for the final weekend of the season (April 28-29th). Any advice on which route to take up to the hut (from Breck. or from Jefferson)?

Also, anything else that i should know or items that i should bring?
Thanks in advance!

Craig

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heading up to the Section House for the final weekend of the season (April 28-29th). Any advice on which route to take up to the hut (from Breck. or from Jefferson)?

Also, anything else that i should know or items that i should bring?
Thanks in advance!

Craig
The ski in along Boreas Pass rd is almost identical from either Como or Breck in terms of vertical gain and mileage so that's pretty much a wash.An alternative is the Gold Dust trail which is more a trail through the woods than the long, gradual RR grade climb that the road is. It probably won't be broken out although that time of year it might not matter.

The Section House doesn't have a ton of nearby mid winter powder skiing but it does have lots of great spring ski mountaineering opportunities on the east aspects of Baldy and Boreas Mtns

1 - 10 of 10 Posts