Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone out there has a prediction on when a good time will be this coming summer to head up to Montana to get some Big Timber action? I know that it is way too far in advance to say difinitively when it will run, but I am trying to get a feel for my summer schedule and I am looking at the Fourth of July as a potential trip up North.

So, anyone have beta as to whether a long 4th o July weekend looks like a time when MT creeks will be running? It seems about right to me, since the MT season seems to start later than CO and they have a good snowpack going right now. Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was there on the 4th of July in 2004 and it was at the low end of good. With the increased snowpack, I'd expect the 4th to be a good time to catch it this year, but of course that depends on the weather and the melt.

BTW, most of MT's snowpack is at a lower elevation and the runoff isn't necessarily any later than here in CO. I'd say it's the same if not earlier. As always, YMMV...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had pretty good luck going the last weekend in June or first weekend in July. You can monitor flows on the Boulder river @ Big Timber. Seems like they drain similar terrain.

I've done Big T on the low side and on the high side (island in the falls was barely covered). Some drops seemed a little easier at the higher flow (Big T Falls), and some got scary (gambler).

Overall the higher flow is probably a little more fun. One of the best creeks ever. You'll love it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses fellas. sounds very good, I'll keep an eye on it and pray for snow in the meantime!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts