Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the decent snowpack in SE Idaho (and I assume SW WY) - does anyone think the Shelley Wave on the Snake River will come in this year? If I recall, it comes in around 18,000 CFS. It's been about 8+ years since the river was that high. What's the local concensus?

:p

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you wanna catch it in a modern playboat you'll probably want 22K+. I rode it once @ 32K and it looked like some Zambezi type shit.

I think odds are pretty good we'll hit 20K. The only issue is the low reservoirs upstream. Last time it got super high was after two large winters.

If it gets above 22K I'll be rounding up a playboat and dropping everything to head out there. That run rules at high water (pretty good at lower flows too!)

BTW - Shelly Wave is called "Endless Summer" by the ID old schoolers. It's at the end of the Murtaugh Canyon just upstream of the "Idaho Connection" wave (which will be washed out if Shelly is worthy).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrong Wave - the other Shelley Wave

Doublet - I think I confused you. The wave I'm talking about is right off a Shelley town exit on I-15, north of Blackfoot and south of Idaho Falls. It MIGHT be called the Woodville wave.

It's likely not well known because it's a shelf wave, only comes in at high flows - and that section of river is pretty much class I. In 1999 (and probably 97 and 98) the wave came in great around 18K-20K and it was amazing - friendly, best eddy service I've ever seen, easy to get onto, etc.

I agree, the upstream reservoirs filling up (Palisades, others) will have a lot to do with whether or not it runs. The year(s) it ran were also the years the bridge washed out on on I-15, and the one upstream by Heise.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yep, you did confuse me! Now that you mention it, the wave I'm talking about is called Margaret not Shelly (don't ask me how I confused the name, I'm clearly an idiot).

I was skiing in Jackson a couple weeks ago, and things were more filled in than I've ever seen them. SE Idaho is going to go off this year (like the rest of the west!).

·
Registered
471 Posts
yes, info please either none of my buddies know where it is or they aren't as good of freinds as I though they were.

The murtaught section has been running 12,500 but looks to be dropping right now. I bet it comes back up for a week or two. at 10K it is awesome. Huge features for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok, I think I'll be able to check it out tomorrow (friday the 21st), I'll just try to use fatmanz directions. I'll post my findings!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been 10 years since I've been there, but I'm 99% sure it's the Woodville Wave. I think the end of this road - E 1540 N, Shelly, ID (dead ends at river) is the put-in/parking spot and the wave is only a few hundred yards downriver. Pull it up on google maps and you'll notice that the river bank (road side) juts out to a point a little ways down from the put-in and I believe that is where the wave is. Hard to miss, you should be able to see it from the road before you get to the end of it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
went and looked today while my daughter was with family in the area. there is certainly a surfable wave right where the directions said it would be. flows are about 18,800. Looked like good eddy service and a smooth wave not epic but solid, wide and well shaped.

I did not want to get in alone and test it out. There is a basalt ledge that extended and indeterminate distance that I did not want ot windowshade on and end up unconcious.

After tkaing out it may be a 50yd carry back to the truck. total park and play. On the other side of the river there may be more/another feature that comes in at a higher level but I couldn't figure out how to get there quickly. It was too far to really tell how good it was on the other side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I didn't write back sooner. Disclaimer: I'm not much of a playboater.
I checked it out at about 18.5 k. Decent wave, definitely not epic. The basalt ledge seemed to go a few feet out but then it was just wave. Great eddy service. The wave had a slight push to the river left which would push you off the wave (you have to work a tad to stay on it).
We ferried across the river and looked at the waves forming off the island in the center of the river and the wave on far river left. Neither were very good. The one on far river left was way too steep.
At 20+ cfs it could be better.
Keep in mind I don't playboat much, so my opinion of a good wave might be different from a experienced playboater.
hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts