Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am selling a boat in the classified section and I got this email the other day:

"Aire Puma

Hello Seller,

In reference to your on-line placed advert, I will like to know if this item is still for sale and If it is, is the condition still remain as described in the advert?
Kindly include your bottom price. I will be waiting for your response at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Sam."

Then I get:

"Hello, Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to read from you. I am okay with the price of the item and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold.
However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible.
As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the item. I'm sure this will be okay with you.what is your last asking price?
Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.
Best Regard,
Sam."

So, knowing it is a scammer fishing for my ID I say: "sorry I meant $19,000."

He replies:

"I'm ok with your price, so kindly get back to me with your information to mail out the check.

Sam"

So I say: "sorry, I meant $190,000. Where are you located?"

response:
"Texas........hope to get back to me with your information such as:

Your name

Your address where you want me to mail the payment to:

Your phone number

Sam"

Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is that we have scammers now on Mountain Buzz so be careful with your transactions. The guy said he was in texas, but he is probably overseas somewhere. If you get anyone acting strange and wanting your name, address and phone # to send payment don't do it. Instead I would recommend messing with them by asking lots of questions, jacking the price way up and eventually asking for the same info from them as they want from you. This guy is so stupid he is trying the same exact approach with 2 different emails. Oh, and if anyone reads this who is a scammer, there is a special place in hell reserved for you and I would love to help get you there as soon as possible so stop by! Also, for all those who are bored, we can bombard this dudes email adresses with emails and "persuasive language" and try to get them from trying it again on our site. his email is:
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I would just ignore them - these guys have nothing else to do than to try to scam people all day long. We can nuke fake sellers, but we can only ban registered users - can't stop the guy from emailing you directly.

If you really want to take the time to mess with them, there's a site dedicated to making fools of scammers : Welcome to the 419 Eater

Looks like their images are broken right now, though. Some hilarious scambaiting, though...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Uh, welcome to the internet.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
unfortunately, it's nothing new. They've been on here for many years.

Some of the ideas on 419 eater are great, it's fun to mess with these guys!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I joked with a scammer (posing as a russian girl) for quite awhile once. If they sent you an email check the full headers. Mine clamied to be a russian girl but was an IP address in Dallas sent to a russian server then to me.

So after the I love you I need 1000 to fly to you talk I finally said I knew Dallas well and I would fly to her...I never heard back? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Here's a variant.

A few years ago, I bid on a set of cat tubes, which were on eBay as a listing from one of the GC outfitters. Didn't win.

A few days later, I got an email from "eBay" saying the original winner had backed out, and if I sent my money to a party that was named in the email, they would ship the tubes to me. Didn't quite seem right, since I actually knew the seller.

And so I called the company and talked to the owner. The tubes were long gone to a legitimate buyer. Someone out there in eBayland had set up the bogus "second chance" scheme to scam what started out as legitimate auctions.

They're out there, for sure.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
487 Posts
Have them send the check, it is fake, but at least make them do a little work.

Here is something I heard on NPR a couple years ago driving through WV.
It is long, but these guys RUINED a scammer's life. Got them to go to Darfur in hopes of making a huge scam, there is hunger, gun fights, etc... Well worth the listen.

Enforcers | This American Life

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Matt,
That same scammer contacted me this week. Thanks for posting this.

"Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to read from you. I am okay with the price of the item and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold.
However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible.
As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the item. I'm sure this will be okay with you.
Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.

Best Regard,
Sam."

Kindly,
Jen

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had someone named bruce send something like that, do you think it could be a scammer also?

Dagger Infrared

Hello Seller,

In reference to your on-line placed advert, I will like to know if this item is still for sale and If it is, is the condition still remain as described in the advert?
Kindly include your bottom price. I will be waiting for your response at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Bruce.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I had someone named bruce send something like that, do you think it could be a scammer also?

Dagger Infrared

Hello Seller,

Best Regards,
Bruce.
100% fraudulent.

General rule of thumb: If they don't mention what you're selling, if their English seems forced and awkward, and if they use that combination of "bottom price / as described", they are scammers. Don't even waste your time, unless you want to mess with them. The next email you'll get is about a check that's on its way, which will be for over the amount, and you pay them back the difference between your item and their fraudulent cashier's check.

You can always make them send the fake check, make like everything looks great, then ask them for a "good faith" prepayment of $10 via Western Union before you cash the check and send them them the difference. Then go buy yourself a twelve pack, and send them a pic of you, drinking their beer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
100% fraudulent.

General rule of thumb: If they don't mention what you're selling, if their English seems forced and awkward, and if they use that combination of "bottom price / as described", they are scammers. Don't even waste your time, unless you want to mess with them. The next email you'll get is about a check that's on its way, which will be for over the amount, and you pay them back the difference between your item and their fraudulent cashier's check.

You can always make them send the fake check, make like everything looks great, then ask them for a "good faith" prepayment of $10 via Western Union before you cash the check and send them them the difference. Then go buy yourself a twelve pack, and send them a pic of you, drinking their beer.
I like this idea

·
tytanr
116 Posts
I had the same reply to an ad of mine, (word for word). I was just about to check the members list to see if he was on it. Turns out he joined 5 days ago!!!! Then I remembered that this thread was posted so thought I'd check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1. I got the same scammer contact me about an item on gear swap. And as said before, all the correspondence was word for word. Now I know this guy is scamming, I will [email protected] with him. Maybe send him a bag full of horse poo and a picture of some old wrinkly balls!! F 'em!!

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I have been dealing with this crap on craigslist for a while. The other day is the first time I had experienced it on the buzz. I would recommend playing really dumb and stringing them along. I keep changing my price, aksing exactly what day he wants to pick it up because I travel between my beach and mountain house every other day. The other day I told him he would have to wait because I had to fly to Boston to perform an emergency surgery. Now I am trying to convince him to buy a 57 chevy drag car that I made up. Its kinda fun coming up with new ways to string this idiot along.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Just tell em you tracked their location via IP address and you'll be knocking on the their door shortly.

How do I find their IP address and location?

·
Registered
293 Posts
So I also got a scam message...really obvious...poor english and no mention of the boat. I signed them up for every bad spam website I knew of...2 for 1:) Also I'm gonna mess with him for awhile..the waters low anyway!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts