Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a former raft guide, paddling whitewater gives me a joy that few other things do. It’s one of my favorite things. Since I’m not working for a company anymore, it is hard to access rafts in order to take friends and family and share my love for whitewater with them. I’ve been contemplating buying a raft for years now, and the Saturn RD290 from BoatsToGo made this possible.

I looked at several rafts in the “small raft” category. The Saturn RD290 is a 9.6’ two-thwart raft. They ranged in price from about $850 to $3500. I’ve been saving for years for this, so I had to go with a cheaper option. After looking at reviews, checking out pictures, and looking at specs I decided on going with the Saturn RD290 for the price and quality. It may not be like some of the rafts we used at NOC, but at a price I can afford it seems to be good quality. Also, I could buy 3 of these rafts for the price of one of the more expensive rafts, and I doubt that they are 3 times more durable.

The main competitor seemed to be the BRIS raft of a similar size. After looking at several reviews it seemed that the Saturn Raft seemed to be better reviewed, better specs, and from the pics seemed to have a more solid construction. Also this is probably a biased and unfair point, but the BRIS is sold at Walmart, and buying a raft from Walmart sketches me out a bit. Finaly, the BRIS seemed to have trouble with the self-bailing feature with the way the floor inflates.

So pumped to take this on some class III-IV whitewater. There are a couple videos out there with people running sections of the Gauley, so that was nice to see some confirmation it can perform well in big water. Living in the Southeast, there are many options of fun rivers. Thanks Saturn and BoatsToGo for making my dream of owning a raft a reality.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a former raft guide, paddling whitewater gives me a joy that few other things do. It’s one of my favorite things. Since I’m not working for a company anymore, it is hard to access rafts in order to take friends and family and share my love for whitewater with them. I’ve been contemplating buying a raft for years now, and the Saturn RD290 from BoatsToGo made this possible.

I looked at several rafts in the “small raft” category. The Saturn RD290 is a 9.6’ two-thwart raft. They ranged in price from about $850 to $3500. I’ve been saving for years for this, so I had to go with a cheaper option. After looking at reviews, checking out pictures, and looking at specs I decided on going with the Saturn RD290 for the price and quality. It may not be like some of the rafts we used at NOC, but at a price I can afford it seems to be good quality. Also, I could buy 3 of these rafts for the price of one of the more expensive rafts, and I doubt that they are 3 times more durable.

The main competitor seemed to be the BRIS raft of a similar size. After looking at several reviews it seemed that the Saturn Raft seemed to be better reviewed, better specs, and from the pics seemed to have a more solid construction. Also this is probably a biased and unfair point, but the BRIS is sold at Walmart, and buying a raft from Walmart sketches me out a bit. Finaly, the BRIS seemed to have trouble with the self-bailing feature with the way the floor inflates.

So pumped to take this on some class III-IV whitewater. There are a couple videos out there with people running sections of the Gauley, so that was nice to see some confirmation it can perform well in big water. Living in the Southeast, there are many options of fun rivers. Thanks Saturn and BoatsToGo for making my dream of owning a raft a reality.

What part of the south east are you in?

·
Definite maybe
692 Posts
wasn't the usual RMR plug, sounded like it though. and comparing it to Bris, wouldnt that be like being the tallest "migget" or the smartest person with brain damage. PS i edited myself, hopefully enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you run class V rapids in that thing your gonna die. Trust me...it happened to me once. Big class 3 at 3400cfs in the Rio Grande Gorge. It's a nice boat but the tubes are tiny and a strong wind will put it in the air. NO CO yer pretty funny. Kinda like winning a gold medal in the special olympics.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you run class V rapids in that thing your gonna die. Trust me...it happened to me once. Big class 3 at 3400cfs in the Rio Grande Gorge. It's a nice boat but the tubes are tiny and a strong wind will put it in the air. NO CO yer pretty funny. Kinda like winning a gold medal in the special olympics.
Sorry to hear about your untimely demise Bruce :-( Congratulations on your
amazing recovery :)

Lets all give ZSNC a break it. He said it has taken him years to save for a $1000 boat. That kind of dedication and persistence should be admired.

·
Shapp
1,826 Posts
Lets all give ZSNC a break it. He said it has taken him years to save for a $1000 boat. That kind of dedication and persistence should be admired.
According to my math, if you give up 2 starbucks stops per week, and drink 2 less micro brews a week at the pub, you can save over $1000 a year. If you switch your expensive cell phone plan to a pay as you go plan, you can probably bank almost another $1000 in a year. If you get rid of cable and all your internet streaming service and get a free library card and do some reading for a year, you will be smarter, and probably bank well over another $1000 in a year.

Thats $3000 in 1 year, $6000 in 2 years and $9000 in 3 years.
$9000 = 1 saturn raft, a fairly good used car, with enough left over for a fairly entertaining night in vegas with some average price street walkers.
or
A sweet 14' american made full mulitday raft setup with a nice new trailer and all your camping and cooking gear.

BOOM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPy6ZJ7MyA

·
Definite maybe
692 Posts
i was trying not to say that. or smartest kid with down syndrome

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Was I too subtle with my sarcasm? My 13 year old grandson earns enough mowing five lawns in the summer every Saturday to buy the boat ZSNC is saving for and then some. Shapp your logical approach of how easy it is to save for a raft is not lost on me. I think that many people do not give up Starbucks because it would require learning how to make coffee. Which requires having internet to google "how to make coffee" or to complain about raft prices. Of course if you do not have great cell phone plan how could you search for a Starbucks, text and drive to the put in all at the same time? Give up craft beer? That is just a mean suggestion!

Enough of my enjoying this thread, got to go save some $ by DIY bear proofing my dry box.

·
Shapp
1,826 Posts
Was I too subtle with my sarcasm? ...Give up craft beer? That is just a mean suggestion!
No, I totally get it, just tagging on with my own illustration of how easy it is to save some dough.

By no means am I saying give up micro brews! Instead of drinking 6 micros a week at the pub you got to cut yourself down to 4. Good compromise? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was trying not to say that. or smartest kid with down syndrome
@NoCo Karma's going to catch up with you one day. Hope it's easy on you. By the way, I bought a BRIS for $1400 last year and ran it down the Colorado and Brown's. In the meantime threw the $4500 I saved myself into shopify stock and now have enough cash to buy a few fully rigged Hysides. Problem is that I really like my Bris.

·
Definite maybe
692 Posts
Thank you for your well wishes. Glad you like your bris. Way to resurrect a thread thats over a year old.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You died!?

·
Registered
670 Posts
@NoCo Karma's going to catch up with you one day. Hope it's easy on you. By the way, I bought a BRIS for $1400 last year and ran it down the Colorado and Brown's. In the meantime threw the $4500 I saved myself into shopify stock and now have enough cash to buy a few fully rigged Hysides. Problem is that I really like my Bris.
Paid promotion.

If you could save and invest for a hyside you would have done that in the first place and not bought a Saturn.

Saturn is classic for this kind of "review".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts