Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Peter - This is a topic that has been, uhm, "examined" repeatedly here on The Buzz. Do a "search." You'll find LOTS of info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have and there are very few that have a saturn, i want to hear a review from people who actually have a saturn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i wanted shitty replies i would have asked for them, please don't reply if your going to be a dick, sorry i don't sit on this website all day long

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used to be pretty stoked on my Saturn and the countless threads about them on this forum. I will do the short version to appease those who want to celebrate Saturnalia, and those who get super pissed about it:

I have a 2010 I bought about a year ago. It works well, but...the valves kinda suck, there's no lace in floor, it's heavy, the warranty is pretty weak, it may be bad for the U.S. economy, and it's hard to roll. It does however get me down the river and it has been a blast to paddle and row the dozen or times I have had it on the water. The major downside is there's no telling how long it will last, but if you're feeling lucky and get a smokin deal like I did, I say go for it. On the other hand, if you can get a good(i.e. aire, maravia, nrs, avon, sotar, or even tributary, etc.) used raft for about the same price, it may last longer and perform better, depending on how used it is. There you have it, roll the dice or get a more establised brand. So much for the short version...

I also have AIRE boats and think they're the best but for the money I paid for the saturn brand new I could probably get 5 of them for the price of a similar sized AIRE.

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
if i wanted shitty replies i would have asked for them, please don't reply if your going to be a dick, sorry i don't sit on this website all day long
how about don't post if you are going to be a lazy dick?

and unless you get me banned - fat chance of that - you can't stop me from trashing your thread if I want to. Hows that for dick?

If you click on the link it will actually take you to pages where people who have saturns have posted up.

If you are too lazy to scroll through the pages for the real reviews I can't help you. I could look them up post by post but I am too lazy to help someone that much who comes in with a chip on their shoulder.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
pnewlin-

ha, looks like you discovered how douchy posters here can be.

I bought a saturn several years ago and was very pleased with it as my first boat. It was cheap and very durable. the valves were cheap, but worked fine, even when a little "broken". the floor was a bit annoying because stuff got stuck under it all the time, just have to be dilligent about keeping tabs on it. I used mine for a fishing set up as well as a paddle boat for whitewater and it was great for both. I ran my saturn down the lochsa at highwater, and killed it. and have friends who have taken their saturns down the grand with no problems. bounced off plenty of rocks and never had a puncture. for the price, i would say its tough to beat. RM rafts in the springs is a good place to talk to knowledgeable people about saturns. good luck!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey Rafterman you finally coming out of the closet?

Not too many i know who have had both

I know there is a price diff and talkin rafts versus cats but how would you compare your recently purchased ocelot in terms of fit, feel, anticipated life, and performance against your Saturn?

Carvedog -- nice link. Keep up the attitude I won't block ya

For the dude asking,

I think there's still a nice 143r on nrsweb up in montana that I thought was a smokin deal. Search post 15999

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Sorry, but if you're yet another cheap bastard looking for the "Saturns aren't garbage" answer you probably won't find it. They are garbage and you are lazy. Suck on that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, so it begins. I am an actual Saturn owner and I love my boat. I have a 2010 with the beefed up floor and the new handles. It works great and I've never had a problem with it. Unfortunately, whenever you try to get an opinion from actual Saturn owners on this forum, you get flooded with the usual douchebaggery of non-Saturn owners who will start trying to convince you to buy used hypalon or they will relentlessly bash a product they have never tried. I've heard from multiple people who have taken Saturns down the Grand and I have yet to hear of one falling apart. Carvedog, if you hate these posts so much, why do you even bother clicking and posting on them? Is it that hard to scroll one more topic down?

·
Registered
17 Posts
saturn owner

I bought a Saturn four years ago and put an NRS frame on it. I think I paid 1100 dollars for a 14 footer brand new, I know they go for more now but still a great deal compared to every other boat. I have never had a problem with the boat, I took it down the grand 3 summers ago and the rangers and guides said they had never seen one before, they looked at me as if I was crazy. I made it down fine and had a blast. I have also taken it on countless other rivers in colorado, new mexico, and utah. I will be taking it on the selway in may and the tat in june. I have every reason to believe it will be fine on those rivers as well. It is true that the valves are not the best, and the floor could be better, but I have never popped it. I used to be a raft guide on the arkansas river so I have paddled nrs, hyside, aire, and even owned a star boat for awhile. At one point or another I saw all these boats pop, that is what rafts do they will pop eventually whether you pay $4,000 or $1,100. Having paddled all the major brands I leave you with this, it is not the wand but the wizard. If you are a shitty boater it will not matter what you paddle, and if you have the skills you will be fine. One last thing about the US economy issue, to my knowledge all the other companies make there boats over seas as well. I know for sure that NRS does as I stopped in Moscow last year, and they told me the rafts are made in Mexico.
Finally, why do people have to be such douches on here, I have met some great people to kayak and raft with through the website. If a guy has a question you do not like, just do not open the thread. Good luck on your decision, but I would recommended a Saturn unless $4,000 is chump change to you.
P.S. I bought the raft through the place in the springs and they were very professional.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think people make fun of Saturn owners because they get huge reactions : ) I am a social worker and that's what kids do anyway.

Slamkal - I am definitely a closet saturn boater, but I will say that my AIRE(and even my trib.) is ten times the boat my saturn is, and five times the money. However, you get what you pay for. AIRE, SOTAR, and MARAVIA are made in the northwest, and are without a doubt badass boats. you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
FYI

Aire meridian idaho ( except tribs )
Maravia Boise Idaho
JPW new Mexico
Sotar Merlin Oregon

These companies have been designing and developing state of the art products at the forefront of whitewater rafting for decades. Not someone who found a production facility several years ago who can communicate and who can throw together a boat in their factory.

There are others just don't know where they make them. I think it would be correct to say that all lower priced second tier manufacturers off shore their boats

The reason everyone gets cranky when you mention Saturn on the buzz is we hear the same thread reposted every two weeks or so. Can we get a dedicated forum called "are Saturn Boats worth it"???

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Carvedog, if you hate these posts so much, why do you even bother clicking and posting on them? Is it that hard to scroll one more topic down?
Glad you love your boat.
netiquette would prescribe that when you come onto a forum you actually do a search to see if the subject has been covered 1,400 times before. If you are too lazy to do that, then be prepared for some shit.

I like to support USA made products first and off shore as a last resort. Getting really tired of the one to two post newbies asking about these things. A simple search would deliver all the support and hand holding he needs to buy a boat from wherever the hell these things are made. I know the guys who make Maravias and Aires and I have boated with them. I know they care as much about the rivers as I do. And about doing everything they can to cut down on the footprint that we leave as boaters here on the earth.

Notice I said nothing about the quality of the boats or any of the political bullshit but simply shocked that he couldn't find enough Sa Turn info that he had to start another thread.

Here is a little tutorial too: click on my name ( or any name ) next to the last offensive post that I made. At the bottom of the list is:

I even highlighted it in red for you.
Carry on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
carvedog you may want to spend less time online and more on the water. Not everyone reads mountainbuzz 20 times a day, if someone is new and has a question let them ask it. Is it really a big deal. You remind me of all the salty river guides I have ever met. You try and make it all about yourself and try to ruin everyone around you from having fun. Honestly get a life.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts