Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend has a 14' Saturn pvc self bail raft with a blowed seam. That he's done with and offered me free. Also the floor has some glue junk spilled on it which hardened and cracked the floor requiring a replacement.
Concerning seam repair: is it worth it? Boat's 12 years old not always stored great. Is this just the first seam to blow and soon they all gonna go on a pvc boat? D rings are still secure.
Some folk say Saturn is of questionable quality to begin with...Opinions?
And any advice on floor replacement?
Pal says a new floor is $500 and seems worth my while to do seam repair and have a $500 boat for whitewater and fishing.
I'd appreciate any advice or relevant commentary.
Thanks
Ben

·
Definite maybe
672 Posts
Take all the money your going to spend on a floor, and repairs and save it for a better quality boat. Its not worth it. Thats why your freind gave it to you.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,427 Posts
Fix the seam first then set the boat out in the sun inflated. If it holds for a few days you might consider buying the floor if.... 1) At the end of the day you are fine with a $500 saturn that sold for $1200 new 12 years ago and is worth $200. 2) If you think you can get your $500 worth of use out of it. 3) $500 doesn't mean much to you if it ends up failing and you take it to the dump. A loss on resale (thats the $200 value I mentioned) of the floor may or may not be possible.

If the seam repair fails or a new seam opens up while testing, take it to the dump. I would likely try to talk you out of paying me to do a seam repair and ordering a floor for a 12 YO saturn that is likely nearing the end of its shelf life. Saturns, especially 12 YO saturn are considered bottom of the barrel rafts. An upgrade from a blue light special but a far cry from a quality WW boat. Plenty of WW has been run in a saturn and plenty are in the dump, its a gamble at best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts