Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going down the grand this June for the first time! Been on some multi-day trips but never in this intense of heat. I have been reading that sarongs are a vibe, but I am wondering where does one get one of quality?

Also open to any other advice or sentiment.

Cheers

·
Never enough free time
345 Posts
A sarong with a stretchy belt sewn in is a lifesaver to be able to cover your lower legs and feet if you get sunburned (or preferably to keep you from getting there, makes a decent towel, good head cover for when you are sleeping outside and it is either windy or buggy, allows you to get out of your shorts and let things air out, makes a nice ground blanket for quick catnaps on the sand, get it wet and lay it over the cooler for evaporative cooling ....

The list goes on. I never go boating without one and I put one in each of the kids personal day-time dry bags along with snacks, sunscreen, splash jacket, etc. I can't think of a trip where I don't have a picture of someone crashed out on the stack with a sarong wrapped around them. Even when dry they cool you off.

I bought my mother in law a UPF 50 one for our Salmon trip last year, from Prana I think. It was a bit spendy but not crazy. My favorite is a Rayon one I got in a parking lot at a show over 20 years ago. It literally just gets softer and more comfortable with age.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I find them often in thrift stores for a fraction of the price of new. A must for every/any river trip!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get an all cotton Kikoy. We've got a bunch and they are used for everything. I drape them over my legs and keep to keep the sun off, wear them in camp all the time use them as a quick drying towel, drape them over napping kiddos. Invaluable. Kikoy.com has them for sale and I have seen others in the states wearing them so there must be a way to get them besides going to East Africa.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I find them often in thrift stores for a fraction of the price of new. A must for every/any river trip!

Amen !!! Never paid more than a couple bucks apiece for mine.

SO many uses, but for around camp or hiking, I use a Utility Kilt instead (has pockets), the heavy denim utility kilts from utkilts.com are great!! (10% off sale going on now)

On really hot days soak them in the river and you have an air conditioner for your personal areas. Sarong's dry out too fast for me, but on the boat are indispensable for all the reasons mentioned here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Been wearing them for decades, best one piece garment ever. Just find one online, don’t over think or over pay it. It’s just a simple light weight rectangular piece of cloth.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
What advantage do you thing a so-wrong would offer you that shorts would not?

You would not ask that question if you had ever worn one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You would not ask that question if you had ever worn one.

Spent literally years of my life on the water (I mean if you add up the days it comes to several years) and never understood the trend. I understand covering up to get out of the sun and the cooling effect of wet garments. It seems to be a fashion over function thing, dress to impress and all.

Not bashing anyone's lifestyle choices, just curious if anyone had a function reason for wearing them.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
As a female, easy to pee in the river, without exposing all! Towel, neck warmer in the chilly AM....the list is endless.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can get airing your junk...but then yall list a bunch of other uses...things I would advise against if you don't want pink eye. I usually bring a cheap thin tan sheet, I guess that's the Anglo version. #noappropriation

1 - 20 of 28 Posts