Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone tell me what to expect on the San Juan next week? We are running from Mexican Hat on down. This is my first trip down this section. Today the USGS says 626 CFS near Bluff. I have a 16' Sotar. Is it runnable? Should I bring my canoe instead?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Looks like flows are predicted to hold:

You will likely have to get out and push a 16 footer every once in a while. I'd pack light if you can. I can't remember the exact flows, but I took a 16' cat down one time and I had one beaching that took a good 30 minutes to free the boat. Canoes might be a better option if you don't need to haul a bunch of gear. If there are storms in the San Juan mountains next week you might get a bump in flows, which would help...

NOTE: If you're reading this thread after today (6/30) you'll want to click on the link below because the image above may reflect something different than the day this question was asked....

SAN JUAN - BLUFF, NR (BFFU1)

·
Registered
91 Posts
It it were me, I would take the canoe. You will probably want to walk around Government but that is easy to do. The raft will be a pain in the ass from Slickhorn to the take-out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>>It it were me, I would take the canoe.

I was afraid that would be the answer! I got too much gear for a canoe this trip.

Is it doable in a raft? I have heard it is runnable down to 400 CFS and I have run Ladore at 600 and the Yampa at 750.

Also, what should I expect at Government? I don't want to de-rig. Can I line it or can I just run it?

I have a flat bottomed Sotar, so it is hard to get it hung up unless you really mess up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We got off on June 15th. I think the flows were around 900 that day. It was about 2200 when we put on from Sand Island. Dropped like a rock. We were at Grand Gulch and went from there to the takeout. Took about 5 hours. We got hung up a few times. I think if you try and stay in the current, you should be fine. You will be dragging your boat a few times for sure, so keep that in mind. We had 14ft boats loaded with beer, food and people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts