Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a place that is still offering a shuttle service?

All of the places I have called are no longer offering the service.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recapture is not shuttling this year. Valle's is only shuttling from Sand Island to Mexican Hat.

Mexican Hat Lodge also might not offer the service.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure if she is doing it anymore, but we would sometimes hire this lady Kathy to run our shuttles. I think her business was called KD shuttles.

I wonder why all these people stopped shuttling. I would think it's a pretty easy way to make some extra cash around there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black Hawk Transportation in Blanding is still offering shuttle service but it is $210 for 2 people and they will not shuttle your vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've never done the SJ.... Are the put-in's on BLM, private or Navajo land? The BLM outfitter permitting system is sometimes enough to dissuade shuttle services (I'm a Park Ranger and know BLM bureaucracy all too well) and I can't even imaging what the Res. permitting system would be like.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Valle's in Mexican Hat is my suggestion, I'd also recommend paying them the $5/day to park your car as there seems to always be miscreants around the MH takeout.

Valle's will do shuttle's do Clay Hills as of last Dec, but they will only pick up drivers? This may have changed as the owner said they had been burned repeatedly last year by no shows, people extremely late, etc......

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you're just doing the upper section, parking at Valle's is a good idea. I haven't had any trouble at Clay Hills. It's the middle of nowhere, and thieves are (generally) pretty lazy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you self shuttle try to send at least one person who knows the way. One year our shuttle missed the Clay Hills turnoff and became the Lost Patrol, drove all the way to Lake Powell and had a trailer mishap turning around there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never done the SJ.... Are the put-in's on BLM, private or Navajo land? The BLM outfitter permitting system is sometimes enough to dissuade shuttle services (I'm a Park Ranger and know BLM bureaucracy all too well) and I can't even imaging what the Res. permitting system would be like.
The put-in's are BLM with a BLM office t SI. Wouldn't suggest parking by the river at MH. There is paid, (more secure), parking up the hill at Valles,(store, RVpark, restaurant... 5 bucks, worth it! ALL river left is Navajo Nation, permit required to camp...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be doing MH to CH in April. Inquired about a shuttle with Far out Expeditions, no word back from them yet. Guess I'll be calling Mexican Hat Lodge. Does the lodge do paid parking too, or will I need to arrange that at Valles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Booked a vehicle drop off at Clay Hills with Mexican Hat Lodge. I'll be parking my truck at the lodge while on the river so maybe she's charging me for that too. Rate was hard to understand, Bonnie said something about $80 plus $140 cash only. Anyway sounds like it'll be $220 for the shuttle. $10 more than what someone said Black Hawk charges to drive out 2 people. Guy I talked with in Bluff heard Wild Rivers is thinking about getting into the shuttling business to fill the void with Valles and Recapture droppin out.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Booked a vehicle drop off at Clay Hills with Mexican Hat Lodge. I'll be parking my truck at the lodge while on the river so maybe she's charging me for that too. Rate was hard to understand, Bonnie said something about $80 plus $140 cash only. Anyway sounds like it'll be $220 for the shuttle. $10 more than what someone said Black Hawk charges to drive out 2 people. Guy I talked with in Bluff heard Wild Rivers is thinking about getting into the shuttling business to fill the void with Valles and Recapture droppin out.
We are booking this shuttle too. The pricing is $140.00 for a van filled with their drivers, then it's $80 per vehicle after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SKYMAN I didn't talk to anyone at Valles so I can't be sure and I probably shouldn't have posted that. What others here on this thread have said and what I've heard in calling around in Bluff and Mexican Hat is that only Mexican Hat Lodge and maybe BlackHawk Shuttles out of Blanding are doing shuttles to Clay Hills now.
Now I'll be silent cause I am just a know nothing tourist in them parts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone used Mexican Hat Lodge yet to shuttle to Clay Hills? Just curious if everything went smoothly?

Also, anyone know if you have to have a Navajo permit to camp at Oljato? The BLM site says you do if you want to hike up the wash, but what about camping?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts