Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh how you tease me, Ms. Juan....

We have a 12 person permit for this Sunday, April 26th to run the Sand Island-Mexi-Hat section.

Levels are now just south of 500CFS. Decent chance of rain is forecast for Sunday....

For our group and boat size, I've said that anything under 500CFS will result in Plan B* and us bailing on the San Juan.

Does anyone care to offer their educated guess about levels and what we might be doing on Sunday?

Also....what the sh*t should we do for Plan B? Run the Moab Daily? There are some folks coming all the way down from Montana for this trip and I'd hate to disappoint. We all live in the Dolores/Cortez area.

THANKS!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Go boatin'!

500 cfs on the upper section (Sand Island to MexHat) is fine. It channelizes and the gradient is adequate. It's the lower section (MexHat to Clay Hills) that can be challenging, because of the flattened gradient below Slickhorn, resulting in a braided channel....not to mention the "breezes" you can encounter.
Now at 500, there may one or two campsites that are hard to access, but there are plenty of others.

Wild Rivers Expeditions (the old owners, anyway) routinely ran the SJ into the 300s with loaded 18' rafts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Totally doable at that level. It's a beautiful float trip, worth the little bit of extra work. I've done it at 375 in a very heavy 18' cat with no issues.

We're putting in at Montezuma Creek and floating all the way down to Clay Hills in three weeks, can't wait.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never put in at Montezuma creek. What's that like ? How many miles does that add?

Do you have to get out at sand island for permit purposes?


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
I haven't floated this 19 mile section either. There's a lot of Anasazi petroglyphs, ruins, etc.

You will need a Navajo Nation camping/hiking permit, but they're easy to get online, just bring your confirmation number as you won't/may never get your hard copy in time.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
You will also need a blm permit, but it's only a call in deal and free.

You will need to check in with the ranger at Sand Island before preceding down.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Soooo.......now that the flow concerns have been addressed......have you checked the weather forecast? Looks like a rainy and pretty cool weekend. It's always something with Ma Nature..... 'course there's always the old saying: No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
We are doing a 1 night trip launching on Saturday- SI-MH- to test out my buddies my cat. I'll be in my 14' raft. Those flows are no issue on the upper. Rain is forecasted but like it was said earlier, no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!!
Have a blast, maybe the rain will bump up flows. Bring yer ditch boots, the beaches will be muddy!!
Enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Agree with grumper the weather is not looking good at all. A strong storm setting up in the 4 corners region, with heavy snow thunderstorms and strong winds on Sat and Sun. Just doesn't sound like a good time to me. Temps are suppose to be only in upper 50's to lower 60's with 15 to 20 mph winds. On all my Ik trips good weather is as important as decent flows. Just sayin!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Yeah, I took it. This was the trail into Richardson Amphitheater across from Hittle Bottom Sunday morning. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
just got off of a snowy, rainy, windy, yampa trip. it was freaking awesome! there is no such thing as a fair weather "boater". " it looks like rain"--- "well i guess we should stay off the river"
aint no weather going to ruin my river fun!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Agree with grumper the weather is not looking good at all. A strong storm setting up in the 4 corners region, with heavy snow thunderstorms and strong winds on Sat and Sun. Just doesn't sound like a good time to me. Temps are suppose to be only in upper 50's to lower 60's with 15 to 20 mph winds. On all my Ik trips good weather is as important as decent flows. Just sayin!
With only 500cfs flow AND bad weather, then I don't recommend doing the lower part below MH. Just stick to the upper section between SI and MH where there's a good gradient and you should be OK. We did MH to CH a few years back at 700cfs in bad weather and wish we hadn't. Wasn't so bad at first because there was still some flow, but running the flatwater below Grand Gulch in strong headwinds wasn't much fun in a 14' cat. From now on, I'll stick to flows of 1000cfs or more and keep a closer eye on the weather forecast. However, if you're a diehard, then go for it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
For our trip at 375 fricken whatever, we were not stricken with the winds and locusts plague. Thank you Moses, Pharaoh and the god of Isis?


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are psyched to head out tomorrow. Food is prepped and I'm off to bed. Thanks for all the comments.

Hey grumpers...we gotta grab coffee or something and talk shop. We're neighbors.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
We are psyched to head out tomorrow. Food is prepped and I'm off to bed. Thanks for all the comments.

Hey grumpers...we gotta grab coffee or something and talk shop. We're neighbors.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Yup, I was thinking that, too. I just got home from the GDA (Mountain Film) event at the Dolores Community Center and wondered if you were there....but you were probably packing. Have a great trip and let's check in when you get home. 97O57Ol7l2 Wade
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top