Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a permit to launch the lower San Juan March 30-April 5th. We've been searching for information about the oil spill, and reading the limited articles online. Wondering if it's safe/ideal to continue as planned with kiddos? Anyone have any hands on knowledge of the condition of the river after the spill?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not saying that my information is current or anything but....

We camped at Sand Island 2/28 - 3/2. On the afternoon of 2/29 the boat launch was a sea of white pickup trucks and a boom was stretched from the lower corner of the concrete pad across 2/3 of the river, anchored on the Navajo side by several hard-to-see yellow ropes. Lights and pumps ran all night on 2/29, 3-1. All trucks and equipment picked up and left the morning of 3/2. We didn't see a sheen on the water or smell petroleum while we were there.

Maybe we "dodged a bullet" . . . this time.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
Having worked as a geologist in environmental consulting and oil & gas, the only issues you may potentially have are river bank staining. 280 gallons plus an unknown amount of production water would have likely moved down river, evaporated, and diluted...including the chemicals used for oil well production optimization. Given the amount of time that has passed, I'd feel safe running the river with my 11 yo son.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts